Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkbubbles64 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 06:01 AM
    We would like to know what this?
    Name:  weird find.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  10.5 KBI have attached a picture ,It seems to me its an old chinese artifact please let me know?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2008, 04:28 PM
    It does look like a chalice or goblet that might be used in some kind of religious function. Where did you obtain it? Does it have any sort of marking(s) on it, like numbers, words, letters, symbols, etc. In addition to being on the outside vertical area, markings could be underneath horizontal surfaces and also inside it.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 02:29 AM
    I do hope that you return, pinkbubbles64!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 05:03 AM
    It also does look a lot like ceremonial oil lamps used inside temples,could be tibetan or Buddhist design or maybe an Indian one possibly.
    Or maybe it is an urn.(?)

The bird on top is significant,is it an eagle?or peacock?
    Here is an example of an Indian lamp with a peacock on top- http://images.exoticindiaart.com/bra...dia_ek30sm.jpg

Jul 10, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    It does look like a chalice or goblet that might be used in some kind of religious function. Where did you obtain it? Does it have any sort of marking(s) on it, like numbers, words, letters, symbols, etc.? In addition to being on the outside vertical area, markings could be underneath horizontal surfaces and also inside it.
    Hi I'm back after finally knowing how to use this ,we have found no markings just there is some tarnish though... the height of this is28.5in high it comes in three pieces

Jul 10, 2008, 06:25 PM
    hello I'm back just not sure how to use this site ,but if someone can figure out what our mysterious item is I would appreciate it and what the value could be thanks
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 01:49 AM
    Hello, pinkbubbles64!

Just for clarification here, I have turned your image and also enlarged it so that others might be able to get a better look at it.
    Attached Images

girlwithQs11486 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 07:44 PM
    The bird looks egyptian similar to those birds found in hyroglyphics a hawk or something

http://www.bible-history.com/images2...ics_egypt1.jpg

Aug 9, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by girlwithQs11486
    the bird looks egyptian similar to those birds found in hyroglyphics a hawk or something

http://www.bible-history.com/images2...ics_egypt1.jpg

Thank you for the response,but that bird you submitted looks bigger ! I think.it really does not look tha same,but please keep tryingto help me figure it out. This item comes apart in three pieces ,if this helps at all,we are looking for how much its worth
    girlwithQs11486 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Can you post a picture of each of the three pieces that could help in distinguishing what the item is used for
    grammaleigh Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 07:02 PM
    May be way off base BUT, I have something that looks extremely similar and it is the top (screw on type) to a glass cigar humidor. It comes apart into 3 pieces and that is, I believe, where something was kept to help maintain the moisture for the cigars. I'll try to get a picture out to you tomorrow. Hope this doesn't just confuse you more. By the way, mine has just a nob on top - no bird. Grammaleigh
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
    You may be on to something there, grammaleigh! It could be a humidor of some kind. Some of them are cylindrical in shape.

Antique Brass Humidor - Google Image Search
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 12:41 AM
    Is there an opening anywhere in the bird's mouth? My parents have a piece similar. I will check back for response tomorrow and possibly be able to post an image of similar item.

Aug 13, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Sure, I'll do it later today. grammaleigh

Aug 18, 2008, 03:04 PM
    I haven't forgotten about sending pictures. My husband is the photographer and he's been sick the past several days. Still working on it. Does the piece you have come apart at all? Mine has a metal rod through the middile?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search