Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 11:42 PM
    1099 - opt
    Hi

I worked for a small company opt but they have given me a 1099 misc form and reported my income in block 7 (non employee compensation). This is how they have reported my income. $7000 on W2 and $18000 on 1099 MISC block 7.

Since I used my car for work can I claim car and truck expense in part II line 9 of schedule c. Plus how much should I claim. Standard rate is 48.5 cents per mile. If I write 1000 miles which I am sure I drove in 6 months then it would be a deduction of $4850. Do you think its appropriate with such less income.

I also had no cost of goods sold. So should leave part 3 of schedule c blank?

Also in section IV I have checked the box to "No" where it asks if I have another vehicle for personal use.

I am also planning to claim $5000 benefit because of being from Pakistan (treaty tax benefit).

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks
    Imad
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 06:44 AM
    You can claim your car business milage on schedule C. The commuting miles are not deductible that miles to travel from home to office and then back from office to home.
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Can I also claim tax treaty benefits? Do I have to file 1040 or 1040 NR?
    I would also like to get continuing education credit. Since I pass substantial presence test can I do both. I mean claim education credit and tax treaty benefit.

Thanks
    Imad
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 08:24 PM
    If you have not completed 5-years on F1/OPT, you must file nonresident tax return. You will get exemption, deduction as per treaty and itemized deduction. Read about nonresident filing
    Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Imad:

Also consider business use of your laptop, cell phone and Internet costs. Do NOT go overboard, but these ARE legitimate expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is 1099 G [ 6 Answers ]

Hi- I am working on H1B since Dec 06. I was on F1 (OPT) before that. I was in US for whole 2007, for 352 days in 2006, and for 341 days in 2005. Based on these numbers, I believe I will file taxes as a resident this yr. Can anyone please confirm this? Yesterday, I got a form 1099 G with my...

1099 [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 1099 employee I run a adult day care out of my home for senior adults I get paid through a company that is governed by the state, what expenses can I claim on my schedule c

1099-G and 1099-INT, filing as a non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

Can I get both a W2 and 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a member of a large anesthesiology group. The income structure is identical for all members of the group. We bill in time based units on anesthesia services we deliver to the patient. Many in the group have assumed additional, uncompensated, roles. We have a board of directors who manages...

1099 without tax id [ 1 Answers ]

I am still preparing the 1099 forms. One contractor fails to provide us his tax id. IRS 1099 instructions indicate that there may be penalty for not providing the tax id. Shoud I still file the 1099 for him without the tax ID? Or it is better off not to file at all.

View more questions Search