Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sad_song Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 04:09 AM
    Guys we nid to be open minded... this thread will test your beliefs
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Aug 7, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    No, just thought you might like to know how it fees when you and others with no faith, post on subjects they don't beleive in.
    And to be honest for the same reason you posted this, most likely to see what you could stir up.
    You did not just think he would like to know... You were just being a bit of a smarty pants. It does not seem like a very christian thing to do. Sorry if this sounds ugly. I'm just making the observation.
    irene94 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2008, 01:13 PM

Jesus is real atist people are people who have had many things go wrong in life and prayed and nothang happened people think that prayer is like awish you ask for it your giong to get it
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Nov 1, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by irene94 View Post
    jesus is real atist people are people who have had many things go wrong in life and prayed and nothang happened people think that prayer is like awish you ask for it your giong to get it
    This is a blanket statement and is just not true. Usually they are very intellectual people that dare to question and come to the conclusion, that the bible does not resonate as truth or represent a god that is good or represents unconditional love. How many times in the bible do you find that god was angry, ordered killings, supported slavery, or that Jesus was in favor of accepting that an expensive ointment be placed on his head even if that expence could help poor people. He stated that there would always be poor people but he would not be here always.
    xxariesxx Posts: 202, Reputation: 40

Nov 16, 2008, 11:28 PM
    Firstly I really would like to see an atheist board in some section for those of us who like to discuss those issues, not trying to offend anyone, but where we can still state our opinions and thoughts respectively.
    I think this thread started here because there is no where to start something like this? Unless I missed it...
    There's nothing wrong with examining these issues, nothing can stay stagnant and unquestioned forever.

The anthropologist Marvin Harris wrote a fascinating book on human behavior and culture. Cows, Pigs, War and Witches: The Riddle of Culture
    "Why do Hindus worship cows? Why do Jews and Moslems refuse to eat pork? Why did so many people in post-medieval Europe believe in witches? And why have witches managed to stage such a successful comeback in today's popular culture?"
    This is from the back of the book. Also one of the subjects he discusses is of Jesus. He basically claims that Jesus did exist, but not as a Messiah figure; more like a bandit, a Robin Hood figure, disowned by the Jewish people after his association with them bringing potential chaos to their society. It's been awhile since I've read it so I'll have to look into again but it's worth reading.
    xxariesxx Posts: 202, Reputation: 40

Nov 16, 2008, 11:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by irene94 View Post
    jesus is real atist people are people who have had many things go wrong in life and prayed and nothang happened people think that prayer is like awish you ask for it your giong to get it
    That's a stereotype that you should steer away from.

I have not had many things go wrong in my life. I was raised a Christian, went to church often, Bible camp, taught Bible and Sunday school even.
    I used to pray every single night, many times every day. I have had my ups and downs as much as anyone, but I was never angry at God or the religion to make me an atheist. I was never upset if my prayers did or didn't go unanswered.

But I just started thinking about it. I really really thought about it and realized that I only believed in this because I was raised to. Because my culture believes in it and taught it to me.
    Had I been raised a Muslim, would I have not believed in that religion instead of Christianity? Yet I would still be the same person in every other way, but believe something as serious and "true" as that? Religion if it's going to be true fact at all should be universal, and by the mere fact that it is not and it is only based on our culture and what we are taught, means that it is something that's a product of society and not actuality.

All I did was look around and think about it.
    NSKWanswers Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    -

Jun 24, 2010, 01:03 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    But also you can not prove he is real.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Atheist and the Bear [ 3 Answers ]

=: The Atheist and the Bear := An atheist was walking through the woods. "What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to himself. As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He turned and saw a 7-foot grizzly ...

Atheist Organizations [ 131 Answers ]

Hello: I'm an atheist. However, I've never found the need to bond with other atheists. Indeed, in my view, an organization for atheists is an anathema to atheism. In fact, I don't believe there IS an atheist organization. Simply put, they don't exist. Besides that, a very good reason of...

My best friend in the whole world is atheist. [ 29 Answers ]

Omg I'm in complete shock. Me and my best friend ever are brothers (might as well be). And I moved away and we both have had hard times since then. And we are depressed. I was just told by his girlfriend that he is aitheist. I don't know what do to really. I can't believe it. I mean we are...

Please explain this myth [ 17 Answers ]

I was recently told that you shouldn't feed a baby watermelon during his/hers second summer. I'm sure this is an old wives tale, but the person who told me couldn't remember why you shouldn't. Has anyone ever heard this, & do you know why you shouldn't? Also, I was just reading some postings, & I'm...

View more questions Search