Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeskillet66 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Tub Drain Plug
    For the life of me, I can't figure out how to close the plug on my tub drain. I'm sure it plugs up, because I've done it before.

The setup is as follows: single handle faucet; no shower nozzle; for tub use only; no lever to move the plug up/down.

I can remove the chrome plug by unscrewing it (it screws to the middle of the drain). I can screw it back on. I can't close it fully, though. It stays open about an inch or so. It has a rubber gasket on it which somewhat confirms that it should close.

It's not one that you step on to open and close.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 6, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Is this a toe tap plug, one that you just push down with your toe?

Jun 6, 2008, 02:22 PM
    I have a toe-tapping one on my other tub, so I know what you're referring. This is different from that, at least I think it is. I screwed it on and then tried stepping on it, but it didn't budge. Are the toe-tapping ones screwed onto the base somehow?

Jun 6, 2008, 02:26 PM
    They do screw onto a spinal in the center of the drain, usually a brass threaded rod. Any chance of a pic?

Jun 6, 2008, 02:36 PM
    It sounds like you've described it correctly. I screw the brass rod into the center of the drain. It stops at a certain point. I tried pushing it down from there, but it didn't seem to budge. I have extremely hard water... could that we obstructing it somehow? I didn't want to jump on it for fear of doing more damage.

Jun 6, 2008, 02:41 PM
    If it is a toe tap it can be so full of scale that its stuck. Remove it and soak it overnight in vinegar or Limeaway.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Do any of these look like what you have? Cheers, Tom

Jun 8, 2008, 08:30 AM
    As a last resort if my ideas did not work try slowly rotating the plug to see if there is a slot where it will drop down when you hit the right spot. Tell us how its going.

Jun 12, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Speedball Tom,

If I remember correctly, the drain looks like the third of the four pictures. It has a center post (rod) that screws into a center anchor. I can screw the post onto the anchor up to a certain point and then it won't screw any further. I think it needs to close about another 3/4 inch in order to seal the tub.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 12, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by homeskillet66
    Speedball Tom,

If I remember correctly, the drain looks like the third of the four pictures. It has a center post (rod) that screws into a center anchor. I can screw the post onto the anchor up to a certain point and then it won't screw any further. I think it needs to close about another 3/4 inch in order to seal the tub.
    This is what your stopper looks like inside, (see image), Now point out your problem. Regards, Tom

Jun 16, 2008, 02:46 PM
    RESOLUTION:

I soaked the drain plug in white vinegar for two days which removed all the hard water deposits. I screwed the plug post into the center anchor and, voilą, the plug worked as it was supposed to. Another big thanks to Ballenger and Speedball for their expert input!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix a leaking tub spout? And add the pop drain plug [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower tub combo and the spouts leaks continuously. It is a single handle style and I believe it is a Delta. I have taken the spout off but there is only a copper pipe that sticks out. I don't see anything else. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to stop it from leaking?...

Toilet Drain Plug? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toilet in my basement(below ground level, that I might replace in the future, but is loose. After a recent heavy rain, when we ran the washing machine, water came from the bottom of the toilet and flooded the basement floor. Would a plug in the drian hole solve this, or do I have to reseal...

Basement drain pipe- plug [ 1 Answers ]

How can I plug a 3.5" basement drain pipe? What type of plug should I use?

P trap drain access plug [ 7 Answers ]

What is the best way to get out an access plug that is located at the tops and side of the P trap drain? It is a brass plug that has a square head that is about .75 x .75. The plug has never been out. I sprayed it with penetrant spray. Not enough room to get a pipe wrench on it. I tried a regular...

View more questions Search