Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjmaas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Writing My First Book
    Hi, I am new at this, so please be patient. I am writing my first book, but I have been writing short stories and poems many years. I am 55 years of age. I am currenty writing a book about own experiences dealing with molestation by a neighbor, never telling anyone, the way I handled and survied it, blah blah blah... and am hoping heal not only myself where needed, but to help others heal also. I am thinking that I may want someone to help with the editing as I go along. I am really not sure though. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, so to speak. I welcome any advice.

Thanks so much,

Pam: rolleyes:
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jun 7, 2008, 06:02 AM
    I would definitely suggest hiring a good editor to provide you with feedback. You can post a project at Elance or Guru; be sure to hire someone with a portfolio, a good rating, and a number of successful completed projects without complaints.

You're likely to be rejected by publishing houses if you don't have an agent, and getting an agent can be difficult if you don't already have a name. If you're open to considering self-publishing and distribution, Lulu offers both services. Amazon offers a competing service through CreateSpace.

Here's a great list of writing software for both the Mac and Windows (I personally use Scrivener for the Mac for writing the first draft and am very happy with it, and MacJournal for journaling - there's a windows version, WinJournal - click on the MacJournal link).
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Excellent and very helpful answer above!

Would I be correct in assuming that you will be wanting to sell your book? If I am correct, then here are some additional ideas that I hope might be helpful to you.

I don't know where you live. But, if it's in a fairly large metropolitan area or near to one, you could try self-publishing your book and asking some bookstore owners or managers if they would consider putting some copies of your book on their shelves for sale. This might be a good way to test the potential marketability of your book before spending the money to make a whole lot of copies and any other expense that might go into printing your book on a large scale basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good thesis statement with any book and another book or movie [ 2 Answers ]

Well do u have a good thesis stament for sny book and movie

Looking for book from The Weekly Reader Book Club, 60's or 70's, paperback, on WWI. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I trying to find a book that I bought in the mid-60's from The Weekly Reader Book Club. I believe it was simply called World War I. It's a small paperback. There's pictures in the book, one of which is subtitled "Doughboys to the Front". In this photo is my grandfather. I loaned...

Still no writing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there again, I am still having problems with writing coming up on websites, I have tried restarting the computer, but there is still no writing, and I still have to highlight the writing to be able to read it. Thanks for the suggestion Sarah. Please help :confused:

Weekly reader book order book from the 80's [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I am so frustrated! I had this book when I was in the 5th grade in the 80's, I'd say it was around 1985 or 1986. Anyway, I loved this book and I lost it when I was a kid and I would give ANYTHING to find it again! I got the book from the Weekly Reader book order in school. There was a girl...

View more questions Search