Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    treatl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 10:59 AM
    401K rules
    Our private company was recently purchased by a DOW public company in the state of New York. We were told that we must roll our 401K into their 401K (their literature calls it an "Employee Savings Plan"). I would prefer to roll my 401K into an IRA. Can I do this? Am I obligated to roll into the new company's plan? We have not been getting answers from the new company.
    Some background: We were a company of 500 employees and had a revenue of $300 million. The new company revenue is $34 billion.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 6, 2008, 11:02 AM
    This depends on how they are handling the merger. In some cases, you would be required to roll it over into their plan. However, if they are terminating the plan, you might have the option. Frankly, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to roll it over since a large company generally has a lot of investment options.

But the only ones who can answer are the plan administrators. They can tell you if the rollover is required or not.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 6, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Here is the deal on that. It's not like you are leaving the company and so therefore getting the option to take it out etc. That would be a huge expense for them to pay everyone out. So basically you are resigning the paper work to match the name of your new company with no liability to you. Keep in mind that any withdrawal will be subject to the 20% liability even if you are putting it into a new plan. The money can be transferred directly to the IRA to avoid penalties and continue the tax-deferred status. This means your hands never touch the money. Instead, it is transferred directly into the IRA by your current employer. Check with the best on this one: Retirement Plans FAQs regarding Designated Roth Accounts
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 6, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat
    Here is the deal on that. It's not like you are leaving the company and so therefore getting the option to take it out etc.
    Not quite accurate. As I said, it depends on how the company is handling the merger. They could simply terminate the plan and give everyone a payout, offering the option of rolling it over into their plan or an IRA. Or they could be merging the plans requiring a rollover into their plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rules of a BBQ [ 5 Answers ]

MENS... BBQ RULES It is important to refresh your memory on the etiquette of this sublime outdoor cooking activity, as it's the only type of cooking a 'real' man will do, probably because there is an element of danger involved. When a man volunteers to do the BBQ the following chain of...

The Five Rules [ 2 Answers ]

FIVE RULES FOR MEN TO FOLLOW TO A HAPPY LIFE: 1. It's important to have a woman, who helps at home, who cooks from time to time, cleans up and has a job. 2. It's important to have a woman, who can make you laugh. 3. It's important to have a woman, who you can trust and who doesn't lie to...

401K rules/law [ 1 Answers ]

My question has to do with rules or laws regulating how employers contribute to your 401K after the money has been deducted from your paycheck. My employer has taken 3 deductions from my paycheck over the course of 1.5 months. None of these deductions have been reflected as a contribution to my...

What are the Rules? [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter's father and I have not been together for almost 3 years and we are still arguing over my daughter and who should do what. I have her most of the time and he takes her Wed night, Sunday afternoon and every other Saturday(day and overnight). We are both in our early 20's. My questions...

View more questions Search