Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jellybellydude Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
    12 year-old Babysitting for the summer
    Hello I'm a 12 year old boy who took a 6 hour class to be a certified babysitter in CPR and the Heimlick maneuver etc... but I don't know how to get my name out there to find some jobs for babysitting this summer and I am experienced but I can't find a way to find people with kids 2 and older to let me babysit so if you know how I would greatly appreciate all suggestions thanks.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 6, 2008, 10:22 AM
    What pumpkin you are. Congratulations on the completion of your class and your willingness to offer assistance and make your own money. I would suggest to you that you post your name/number at church maybe in the bulletin. Also school if there is such a possibility. Also if your neighbors are okay with solicitation you could always print off some one page like rate sheets, introducing yourself and list your rates and hours of availability. You could put a "coupon" on the bottom with like an offer of like .50/per hour off the first time. Please Please always have your Mom or Dad go with you the first time you go to meet a family that you don't know. Safety first. Enjoy your summer!
    I just found this site called Sittercity: Find Babysitters, Nannies, Pet Sitters, House Sitters, Senior Care, Tutors and More you could register there too.
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Jun 6, 2008, 10:34 AM
    I applaud you for taking the initiative of taking life saving classes in preparations for what is, or can be, a very challenging experience. Though you appear to be mature for your age possibly being a parents helper first (where one or both parents are still at home, but you would be "responsible" for the children), and if you do well, then move onto the babysitting alone. It may help for someone to see that you are capable of handling situations appropriately. Word of mouth can lead to all types of business opportunities.

Try families which you and your parents are familiar with and are comfortable.

Good-Luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 6, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Also most libraries have community bulletin boards where you can post. Many community centers have baby sitting referral programs.
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Jul 2, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Hello dear one - You sound like a motivated young boy - ready to go to work. I do want you however to re-consider your decision to babysit. Because you are just 12 years old and a child yourself, you cannot be responsible for another child - in some states like here in California, your parent could be held responsible for leaving you and another child(ren) alone to care for themselves. This is not a safe situation - and trust me, people have left children alone only to have one of them fall and suffer a head injury and/or a broken arm and then the police and social services are involved. There are too many risks here for you and another child - you yourself need a responsible adult to care for you. Sorry to be scary but I have seen too many situations to not mention this to you. Please talk to your Mom and Dad and think of something else you could do. Take care darling.
    baylee_101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2008, 11:00 PM
    hey! im you age and love kids and baby sit alot! how i first got started i i put flyers all over town and passed them out to woman or men but most of the time people with kids remamber to be nice and polite and in the flyers make shure to talk obour the fact that you took callas and hoe mony you charge. i read in a book that people charge fromm 4$ to 8$ depending on hoe many childeren you are going to wanc! glad to help!

Your friend, baylee!:D :):D ;)
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 02:13 PM
    No dis-respect to you,. jellybelly, but I am absolutely amazed that you are allowed to be responsible for other children.. I am lost for words that this goes on and it seems is encouraged.

In my country the minimum you can be to be souly responsible for another child is,14years,even then it's very doubtful that you would be left totally responsible for another child, never mind a few children... gosh this really does worry me.

There are all sorts of legal issues surrounding this... small children can get up to all kinds of antics, that only a mother would know how to deal with.

Obviously the laws are different regarding this issue of child care in each country.
    Jellybelly, you sound a lovely lad, is there no other way that you could earn some sort of income?

Maybe you could offer your services in the homes of the elderly by means of shopping, gardening,writing letters, just a general companion, dog walking just about anything really or even help in an out of school club.

It's just a few different suggestions for you... I'm sure you will be successful in what ever you do in life.

Takecare.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Have you tried craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums for your area? Sometimes they have job listings for babysitting.

Great work getting that certification! :)
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 23, 2008, 02:21 PM
    I put up flyers on bulletin boards when I was your age, got a few jobs. I babysat pretty much non-stop from the time I was 12 until I could get a real job at 16.

Good job on the certification! You can always talk to your parents friends about babysitting if they have younger kids or know anyone who needs a sitter.
    singergirl_11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybellydude
    Hello i'm a 12 year old boy who took a 6 hour class to be a certified babysitter in CPR and the Heimlick maneuver ect... but I don't know how to get my name out there to find some jobs for babysitting this summer and i am experienced but i can't find a way to find people with kids 2 and older to let me babysit so if you know how i would greatly appreciate all suggestions thanks.
    Make posters and fliers people will notice them.
    jmanhouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Hello. Well you sound very responsible for your age. Also if your handling younger children keep in mind to only watch them for about an hour.You don't want to be with them for too long in case anything happens.When I was your age I posted flyers on trees and also passing them out too friends to give to anyone they know who needs a babysitter.

-good luck-
    jmanhouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Hello. Well you sound very responsible for your age. Also if your handling younger children keep in mind to only watch them for about an hour.You don't want to be with them for too long in case anything happens.When I was your age I posted flyers on trees and also passing them out too friends to give to anyone they know who needs a babysitter.

-good luck-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Babysitting Ad [ 4 Answers ]

So I'm trying to write a babysitting ad, but I don't know what to put on it, just list off good things about me or what? I'm an honors kid I volunteer, blah blah blah:confused:

Looking to get a Babysitting Job [ 11 Answers ]

I am 12 years old and I am trying to get a job as a babysitter. Most parents I think would probably want someone to be a bit older than me to babysit. What can I do to show to parents that I am capable of taking care of their child?

Am I being ripped off? 10 year old Trane unit down for 5th time this summer [ 31 Answers ]

Hello. I feel totally at a loss here and vulnerable to the a/c company who I have a service contract (perhaps foolishly) with. First my a/c went out last June. I was told it was just a fuse, and it started working fine right away. No big deal, less than 100 bucks. One day later it went out...

Summer Switch on Furnace- on or off in summer? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older model Carrier furnace for central heat in the basement; the AC unit is newer and outside. I noticed that the Carrier unit has a "Summer Switch". Should it be set to off during the summer months?

View more questions Search