Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sikativ Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Jun 6, 2008, 09:45 AM
    I want her stuff gone!
    Summary:
    My ex girlfriend and I of 4 months broke up and she's back living in Connecticut (im in new jersey).
    She only took a weeks worth of things with her when she left because she said she was coming back. Well now we are broken up and she is not talking to me at all so I have no idea what she is doing about her things.

Detailed thread:: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...up-221408.html

Does anyone know the laws for this, I want to avoid doing something illegal. As much as I want to trash it all, if its illegal, I won't.

-Sik
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 6, 2008, 09:52 AM
    If she isn't on the lease then there is no obligation or agreement legally. However, to avoid being the bad guy here, you could always send her a certified letter letting her know that she has 30 days to remove her belongings or advise you on what she wants you to do with them and/or pay for their removal. Inform her as well that, if by the end of the 30 days she has not taken care of it you will box them up and send them to the local good will. Then send her the donation slip for her taxes, she can write it off.

Jun 6, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat
    If she isn't on the lease then there is no obligation or agreement legally. However, to avoid being the bad guy here, you could always send her a certified letter letting her know that she has 30 days to remove her belongings or advise you on what she wants you to do with them and/or pay for their removal. Inform her as well that, if by the end of the 30 days she has not taken care of it you will box them up and send them to the local good will. Then send her the donation slip for her taxes, she can write it off.

She moved in with my family and I and things just went awry.
    I am already the bad guy here apparently so I am not too worried about that.

I just want her stuff gone.

-Sik
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 09:58 AM
    Do you have a garage or a storage unit where you could put her things?

Even if you don't have a specific place for everything, get boxes and box everything up. As suggested by MsMe, send her a registered letter stating that her things are boxed up and will be removed from the premises on a certain date.

Have a plan in place for if she doesn't pick up her things...

Good luck! :)

EDIT: I don't think it is illegal to dispose of things left in your house if you have given written notification of when she is to pick everything up... I don't think...

Jun 6, 2008, 10:02 AM
    By registered letter, do you just mean a letter through the post office?

Also she has some plastic dressers (the kind you can get in walmart), am I going to need big boxes or can they just be used as containers?

-Sik
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Yes, through the post office. You can send a regular letter, but get receipt of delivery. That way, she can't claim that "she never got it."

Honestly? She left her stuff in your place and is refusing to come get it. It would be kind of you to get boxes, but if she has plastic dresser/container type deals, sure, go ahead. Just make sure that you tape up the drawers so that things don't "fall out and get lost." (don't give her an opportunity to accuse you of losing/stealing/etc.) You can go on craigslist and ask for moving boxes as well.

This is going to be work on your part, getting everything boxed up and together, but it will be best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuff going on [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I have a few things that I need to try and figure out First of all I have an amazing boyfriend but the way that I act I'm afraid that I'm going to push him away I always want to talk to him or be with him and I know its just cause I really love him and care about him and he was my first...

More stuff [ 3 Answers ]

Grave Service As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a Graveside service in a new cemetery for a derelict man (with no Family or friends) who had died while traveling through the Area. The cemetery was way back in the country. This man would be the First to...

Going through his stuff [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so I found out his password to his account and was tempted to go through his stuff, and if ound out that he is somewhat cheating on me or was close to it. How do I confront him without having him get mad at me for invading his privacy I know I was wrong... but what do I do?

Stuff to do [ 5 Answers ]

I am bored out of my mind and so excited about middle schhol so I Google middle school every dayand I was wondering what I can do to pre-pear for middle school I start in 53 dayssssss plus I was wondering if you now eny good sites on middle school:confused: :confused: :confused:

Need some stuff for my... [ 3 Answers ]

That's me again folks Lol I was wondering if someone could help me because I would to lighten safely my bikini zone and lower U know what I mean ?:D Like I would like to have an even skin tone down there too Please help me if you know good stuff Thanks!:rolleyes:

View more questions Search