Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FloJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Judgments against me in Florida
    I have a creditor that has hired a lawyer to come after me for monies owed. I explained I am filing bankruptcy but have not been able to file as I need to pay the balance to the attorney before he will file it. The creditors lawyer said that they will get a judgment against me. When he does obtain a judgment what do I do? Can he freeze my bank accounts and garnish my wages? I am in Florida and my home is homesteaded. I am not head of household as my son is 24.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 09:22 AM
    If you are about to file Bankruptcy, you should be able to include this as either a debt, or as a judgment, depending on the status of the debt at the time of filing.

Once they obtain a judgment, if not included in your Bankruptcy, then yes they can garnish wages and levy bank accounts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgments and garnishments [ 1 Answers ]

Hi A few months back I received a judgment on an old credit card that was bought by a collection agency. I just received a letter from them and called to set up payment arrangements. I was instructed that they did not have to accept this amount and could garnish my wages without having to file...

Collecting a judgments [ 2 Answers ]

HELLO, I like to know if you know of some company that will help me report a "judgment" to the credit bureaus? All answers will be appreciated Thanks

Subpeonas and Judgments [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a 27 year old NEW mother. I was just informed that I was served at my parents address last month to appear in court for a mediation for a judgment. I obviously didn't attend since I did not get the paper work in time and was unaware of the mediaiton. Nothing was signed by my parents as...

Texas law regarding judgments [ 1 Answers ]

I have read where in the state of Texas, the homestead exemption forbids creditors for seizing your property. However, 41.001 (c) states that a "homestead claimant's proceeds of a sale of a homestead are not subject to seizure for a creditor's claim for six months after the date of sale." It...

Creditor judgments [ 1 Answers ]

How long do credit card companies wait before filing judgements against you?

View more questions Search