Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fernandezj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Smell coming from bathroom and dripping
    We recently installed a new bathroom ourselves. There has been on/off dripping from the corner where the toilet waste pipe is down into the living room and the occaisional bad smell. A plumber fixing central heating said he thought it would be when the soil pipe was disturbed and we have to either take up the floor or the ceiling below the bathroom. Any idea on the smell or cause of dripping (it will not drip for days then suddenly start again and doesn't happen after as shower etc). Thanks
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Jun 6, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Sounds like a bad wax ring or incorrect toilet installation. Did you change any of the waste pipe configuration or just drop a new toilet in?

Jun 6, 2008, 10:52 AM
    We had to buy one of those concertina-type tubes to link toilet to waste pipe (sorry can't remember correct name and boyfriend who did it not here right now!). There is no leak at all around this area though? Thanks again
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Jun 6, 2008, 10:57 AM
    I'm not sure what that is that you're referring to but obviously there is a leak. If the connection from the toilet outlet to the waste pipe isn't good then you're going to have a leak underneath the floor, and down into the next level - which you have.

There needs to be a solid and properly supported wastepipe, a properly installed toilet flange(screwed to finish floor), and a properly installed wax ring or gasket between the toilet and flange. If you've tried to use something to make the installation "easier" because something didn't line up, looked too complicated, etc, then you're causing a leak and compromising your health with raw sewage leaking into your ceiling.

Jun 8, 2008, 01:42 PM
    The toilet has no wax ring as I bought a pushfit connector and was told I would need nothing else. I also sealed the joint with some plumbers sealant and there is no leak whatsoever above ground. The connection is horizontal about 6inches off the floor so I would see water on the floor or feel a drip. The problem is below the bathroom floor. It also has no smell in the room below but the actual bathroom does have a little odour if the door is left closed overnight but nothing unbearable.

The water coming from the ceiling is intermittent and began in a different area to where it is currently leaking. The floor in the bathroom had been nailed down to overcome the squeaking we were previously suffering and I wondered if a pipe may have been pierced although I have been told the water dripping from the ceiling would be hot of coming from the boiler. I also imagine it would be constant which it is not as it may not drip for a couple of days and then start again??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nasty smell coming from our master bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a trailer about a year ago and now that's its getting nice out we get this really bad smell from our master bathroom espically when it gets hot. We have two sperate sinks and a shower witch we use all 3 all the time we also have a big tub in the corner of the bathroom that we only...

Sewage Smell coming from bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

We have a strong sewage smell coming from our bathroom sink. Can you help?

Sewer smell coming from bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new house on a concrete slab in Concord, North Carolina in September 2007. We have a sewer smell coming from the first floor bathroom that we were told is coming from the shower/tub since we don't use it at all (we do use the toilet and the sink in this bathroom). A...

Foul Smell coming from bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

This might be a ridiculous question but there is a rotten egg smell coming from one of our bathrooms. I cannot pinpoint the location except that the smell is overwhelmingly foul. I think it's coming from the sink but it could be coming from the jacuzzi tub. Originally I thought the smell was...

Smell coming up from bathroom sink. [ 1 Answers ]

Our bathroom sink smells like sewer when we run water down it. I know the trap is full because we use this sink every day. We have to keep the drain closed and run a sink full of water before we can open the drain and use the sink. What is causing this problem? Could our vent be plugged? It...

View more questions Search