Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alana1970 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Son absent for more than 65 days
    I just found out that my 14 year old that is in 9th grade has more than 65 days of absences I have to go on Monday to the school to talk to the guidance counselor. I know of some of the absences because he was out for about 2 weeks because of an illness. After that he says he just didn't go because he was so behind that he didn't know what was going on. I want to know what can happen. I know he might get left back or go to summer school. He needs 8 credits to go to 10th grade. I really want to transfer him because he hates this school. I have never had problems with him before he has never gotten left back or gone to summer school. He has always been an excellent student until he started high school.

I have heard that I could get arrested or have him taken from me by ACS. Is this true? I had no idea he was cutting school. I live NYC. Thank you.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 6, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Okay, I'm going to get it on here for answering you this way but there is no reason why at 14 you don't know where he is every second of every day. NYC is different than were I live however, not that different. 65 days is a very long time. Even subtracting the 14 for the illness we are talking about 51 days, average school day is 7 hours, that is 357 hours that you have no idea where your son was? Question: Where did he tell you he was? I would have him tested for drugs, seriously. He needs to be seen by someone, you are obviously losing him way to early. When he returned to school or before going back you should have met with teachers to establish a plan. No sense in harping on you at this point. Every consequence you stated is possible. Here's the deal on the school absence: yes as long as a child is a minor you are responsible for everything they do and don't do. That includes not attending school. I've attached a website that can help you. Truancy is defined by 5 unexcused absence in most states. Truancy: Encyclopedia of Everyday Law
    alana1970 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 11:06 AM
    The 65 days are just partial which means he goes to school but leaves early and comes home when I am not here. I did have him tested and no drugs or nicotine or alcohol whatsoever. He is a good kid and doesn't hang out that much is home by eight. He has just had a hard time in this school. The school never informed me of anything until now which is to late for me to do anything since school is almost ending. He has never been picked up by the truancy police. So I am just going to go to the school on Monday and see what can be done. I know there are programs that can help and maybe transferring him to a better school.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2008, 12:11 PM
    At this point transferring him to another school may be the best answer since he most likely will be left back, this way that sigma will not be with him.

You need to now in the future, check almost weekly that he is at school every day.
    jdavidsalinas Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 11:02 PM
    In Texas, you and your son will have to appear in court. More than likely be fined. Your son will then have to attend Saturday school to make up some credit. Being absent more that 90 percent of a semester automatically drops the credit for the semester. Fortunately your son is OK and responding to you. Unfortunately 65 days is just way too much and will have to attend summer school and probably be held back year.
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Jun 19, 2008, 08:04 PM
    "He has always been an excellent student until he started high school. "

I'm thinking that there could be a bully or something at school that makes him cut. Ask him about his friends, classes, teachers... etc. I live in New York also, and for my school if you miss about 15 days for a half year course, you don't receive credit. But I am not positive how many days it is for a full year course. You could try homeschooling also, if he hates to go to school that much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Absent husband [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has abandoned me, I can't find him anywhere. He did tell me that he would never give me a divorce. Can I get a divorce without is help? Doesn't he have to be served divorce papers in order for the divorce to proceed? This is in calif.

Hkdrvr is absent [ 1 Answers ]

HKDRVR is absent and get message re EPower Utility Initialization. There is no start button on the star program and I cannot go further. What has happened? How to replace?

Absent Father [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old son whose father has been absent his entire life. Meaning no child support. He does call occasionally but he doesn't give me one dime for my son. He says he loves my son and what not. Is there a way I could terminate his parental rights?

Divorcing an absent spouce [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I separated in 1998. We have a legal separation agreement. I have since lost all contact with him and his family and I want to get a divorce. I have tried to search him out online with no success. Any suggestions on what I can do?

View more questions Search