Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vdawk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 05:52 AM
    401 withdrawal
    My husband passed away in June of last year. He had a 401 and I am beneficiary. I need this money to pay funeral expenses and tuition. I am 47 years old and have been in school for the last 1 1/2 years. I'm not working and I am in need of this money now. What's the best way of going about this.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 6, 2008, 07:45 AM
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. Depending on the particulars of your husband's 401(k) plan, the administrator may require you to take a full distribution of your husband's 401(k) assets. Ideally you should roll this over to an IRA of your own, so as to avoid income taxes and allow the assets to continue to grow tax-deferred until you need it at age 59-1/2 or later. However, if you must take a partial or even full distribution now, you can do so, but you will have to pay income taxes on the amount distributed to you. The plan administrator will withhold 20% for federal income tax withholding. Next April when you file your taxes you will include the full amount of the distribution as income and the 20% as taxes already withheld. If you live in a state with income tax you will have to pay state income tax as well, when you file next April. The good news here is that since you are the spouse, you do not owe a 10% early withdrawal penalty, even if you are under 59-1/2 years of age.

Here's a site that you may find helpful:
    401k Retirement Savings Inheritance

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401 k withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

I am 60 yrs old disabled on social security disablity of 1100.00 before my medical deduction, I would like to close out my 401k and pay off my house , I want to know if the 20 percent taxes they take out is mostlikly all I will pay to the federal government and 10 percent to state of calif, I can...

401 K Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I left my old company after 10 yrs and going to rollover that company 401, to my own.. I started my own consulting LLC company and need some capital equipment funds.. Can I take money from my new 401 and loan to my company to pay back w/o penalties?

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401 withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to leave my job and I want to close out my 401 and use it in helping me start a small businness. I have about 107.000 in there now how much can I expect to receive after they tax it

IRA Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I would like to put a down payment on a house using my IRA account. I am a first time buyer, but my husband is not. Is there a way to avoid the 10% penalty? Also, should we have the taxes withdrawn now or wait until tax time? Thanks.

View more questions Search