Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chikudee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 06:12 PM
    First Year Choice statement
    Hi Atlanta Tax Expert,
    In my earlier posting, you had advised that I wait till about June 2006 and then file as a resident using the First Year Choice( FYI- I changed to H1 status from F1 in Oct 2005) .

How many days do I have to be in the US in 2006 to meet the substantial presence test? And do I have to submit the First Year Choice statement as spelled out on Page 9 of Publication 519?

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2006, 10:50 PM
    Chikudee:

Read the Sticky Post. It may make sense for you to file as a non=resident alien.

You need at least 183 days for Substantial Presencse, but you can only count one-third of your 2005 days.

Yes, you do need to attach the First Year Choice statement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-OPT-H1B using first year choice [ 18 Answers ]

Great site for all of us.. thanks a lot My case:- Came to US in 2002 on F1, got my opt in feb 2005, and h1 in oct 2005, married and my wife ( was on F2, now on h4) doesn't work. Last year I filed 1040nr and 8843. I tried using 1040NR as my previous year but ended up getting very little...

First year choice for whom came to USA from China with h1-b at oct 31,2005 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi experts: This is really a good place with so many great experts.I need your help. My condition is below: 1.I arrived USA from China with h1-b at oct 31,2005.before oct 31,2005 I lived in China all the time. 2.my wife arrived USA from China with h4 at apr 20,2006.before apr 20,2006 my...

First year choice and extension questions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first visit to the US from India on a L1 Visa. I am accompanied by my wife who is currently not working and a kid who was born in India. All three of us landed in the state of Massachusetts on 29th July 2005. We were in Massachusetts till December 31st and then on 1st jan 2006...

What is First Year Choice [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you for your assistance. Since my wife's employer didn't withheld her Social Security and Medicare tax because they think she should be exempted from those two taxes, how can she file on her tax form about this? Does she need to pay the penalty? BTW, what's...

First Year Choice & Resident / NR [ 6 Answers ]

I stayed in US in 2003 , 2004 and in 2005 and as per substantial presence it is total of 160.5 days (which is less than 183days). 1. I filled 1040NR for 2003 without using First Year Choice and became resident in 2004 mid. Is it possible to amend my 2003 return by using first year choice and...

View more questions Search