Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    James Clough Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 05:13 AM
    Venus Fly Trap?
    Can venus fly traps really grow large enough 2 eat a small rat?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 6, 2008, 05:17 AM
    Dear James,

Having read a lot on these plants I suggest it may be possible in the jungle, but not in your lounge or bedroom...
    It's more likely that a rat would be capable of biting his way out of a trap.

:)
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Jun 6, 2008, 05:33 AM
    Venus Fly Traps capture any crawling or flying creature of suitable size – they feast particularly on spiders, but plants in the wild may have a different diet. The 'Daddy-long-legs' spiders seem to have a fascination for these plants (there is no arachnid phobia of VFTs), and on many occasions the long spindly legs can be seen protruding from a closed trap.

Very occasionally a few vertebrates are supposedly captured, such as rats, birds, or frogs. These events are usually ascribed to Nepenthes species, the tropical pitcher plants. But these are rare surprises and do not represent normal prey.

Here are two very informative sites on the subject for you.

Growing Cycle of Dionaea Muscipula: Dr. Samuel Vergio Miensinompe
    Growing Cycle of Dionaea Muscipula

VCPS - Tips

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dying venus flytrap! [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a flytrap about an year ago. At first I fed it some insects but as time passed couldn't feed much, then nothing at all. It was finely doing until last winter. After that as it should, it went to its sleep period. When the spring arrived it wasn't looking good. It sprouted new leaves which...

Venus Flytrap in terrarium [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, lately I'm obsessed with carnivorous plants.The most common one is the venus flytrap. I have one and I read that they are dormant in winter season.It has lost its traps and some leaves are green still.I read that it needs to be in the cold from November to February so I placed the plant in...

The outer ring of venus? [ 1 Answers ]

Reacurring dream that my brother and I go through this glowing ball of light and end up in a diff world, People use their minds to speak and also can do things with their minds I was driving something like a car and the people behind us were making the wheel hard to minipulate. Also they were...

Men are from Mars, Woman are from Venus, or are they? [ 18 Answers ]

Is it just me or are men and women really more similar than we all think they are. I mean yeah, that book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" was really popular and was a best seller but I tend to disagree with some of what it has to say. Just from reading a lot of the posts that are in the...

View more questions Search