Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Dying from secondary drowning
    Has anyone heard of this? I was astonished to read about secondary drowning. I have never heard the term or heard of anyone dying from it. Read this article of a young child that died. ABC News: Boy Drowns During His Afternoon Nap
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Jun 6, 2008, 05:51 AM
    I literally just heard of this yesterday. I was picking up my children from the daycare and they had been swimming that day. One of the other mothers was picking up her child and had asked the babysitter if they all had taken a nap right after swimming. She was answered, and then she was asked why. That's when the other mother had mentioned secondary drowning. It scared the crap out of me.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 09:43 PM
    That was a terrible experience for all. I know how quickly anything in the wind pipe or lungs can take your breath away. I have had reflux problems for about 20 years and several times food or liquid has come up into my throat and windpipe while I was fast asleep (and it is probably only about a teaspoon of liquid). I wake up in a panic, sit straight up, drawing what feels like my last breath but there is no bottom, it feels like a perpetual inhale. You can't cry out in that condition, its like choking. If that would happen and I didn't wake up I am certain I would be dead almost instantly. Maybe the young man didn't wake up. Don't ever underestimate the need to breathe. You breathe prob thousands of times per day, but miss one and your body will react in a bad way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 06:25 AM
    I was totally shocked, I had never heard of such a thing, my son was swimming at the time I heard of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drowning here [ 1 Answers ]

We have a judgment against us for past medical bills - a time when I was originally covered by Medicaid and then for a year without insurance. Until three months ago, I never received bills for the medical visits from when I had Medicaid because the hospital billed directly to Medicaid. Thus,...

I dreamt of drowning in my car in the sea. Help! [ 3 Answers ]

I saw a dream in which I am driving my car to work and then I see my friend and she tells me that she has a dent in her car and the place we both were was surrounded by water, so when I tried to see my friend's car as I was told I did not realize that I forgot to put on the brake and kept going...

Really Need Your Insight and Help - Drowning in sadness [ 45 Answers ]

Well, here’s my story and I really need advice. I have seen the advice given on so many post here, and would be so grateful, if you would be so kind to read this and let me know what you think. I am married for 18 years. To a wonderful man. Caring, unselfish and shows concern for any pain or...

Drowning in Grief [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'll try to make this short... My grandmother raised me and we have always had a very special bond.I always knew I would take her death hard and even went so far as to tell her that when she died she would have to somehow come to me and let me know she was around.Well two weeks after we...

View more questions Search