Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pink5586 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 01:36 AM
    22 and my hair is falling out.
    :D Hey guys so I started noticing my hair falls out in Great big clumps while I wash it, or brush it!! All the hairs seem to be coming out from THE ROOT! (and that's what scares me!) None seem to be "Broken" hairs or "Damaged"... Just straight from the root! I am 22 and I had a baby 4 months and 3 weeks ago, and I am nursing... I have read that if you "Recently" had a baby it might have something to do with hormones! But how "Recent" is "Recent??" ;-) Also I am going through a divorce... Stating that fact might seem as if I'm under a lot of stress; But its more of a relieving situation then anything. It was a horrible relationship so now that its basically over, everythings been so much better! So I am just curious as too why my hair has been falling out... No genetic history, or past issues with losing my hair! (I also have a 2 year old, and did not experience any hair loss after that pregnancy) Thanks guys so much! :o
    tjplayer Posts: 45, Reputation: 11

Jun 6, 2008, 05:48 AM
    I am not a doctor, but I went started experiencing the same thing shortly after I had my daughter. My hair just kept falling out at the roots in great amounts. Finally mentioned it to my doctor at a check up. I then found out that the loss of hair is one of the first indicators of Thyroid disease. I had never had any problems in the past, but it turns out that a lot of woman develop thyroid disease after being pregnant. I do not know if that is what you have but it could be. Thyroid disease is easy treated so don't flip out, they will take some blood to find out what your thyroid level is and that will tell them if you have thyroid disease and also if yours is under or over active. Some other signs are tired, ( which I was but I blamed it on being a new mom) headaches, a gain or loss of weight, depending on which type of thyroid you have. These are the obvious ones. The treatment is a simple pill once a day and blood work every little bit to get the right dose to bring your thyroid level into normal range. Like I said this may not be what you have but I would check with your doctor, If it is and you are not treated, you really start to feel bad over time. Hope this helps and please remember this is just my opinion and thoughts. Good luck. Also if it is what you have then after you get it under control, your hair will stop falling out, I got tired of cleaning the hair out of my shower and ever where else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My hair is falling out [ 31 Answers ]

I'm a 22 year old female and my hair is falling out! There is no history of early baldness in my family, and everything else seems normal. I think normally, 50-100 hairs should be falling out, but around 250-300 hairs have been falling out in a day. There are no bald spots, the hairs are coming...

My hair is falling out [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this site and I am worried because my hair is falling out. I've always noticed strands of hair on my brush and on the bathroom floor, but it has never alarmed me until now. I am 43 years old and in good health. I have been blow drying my hair for many years and flat ironing for...

Why is my hair falling out? [ 4 Answers ]

I know that some hair loss is normal but lately I've been finging that I have excessive shedding of my hair. When I run my fingers through my hair it is coming out in small clumps. This happens several times a day and I find my hair all over EVERYTHING. I do not take vitamins at the present time....

My hair is falling out! [ 6 Answers ]

The past 2 weeks my hair has been falling out in CLUMPS! It is scaring the crap out of me, I'm afraid I'm going bald or something. I'm only 23! What is causing this, and what can I do? I did recently get a Mirena IUD inserted, would that have anything to do with it? It does have a low dose...

My hair is falling out [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a 22 year old female and my hair is falling out! There is no history of early baldness in my family, and everything else seems normal. I think normally, 50-100 hairs should be falling out, but around 250-300 hairs have been falling out in a day. There are no bald spots, the hairs are coming out...

View more questions Search