Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fastfriend Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 01:04 AM
    Thin skin and damage by hot water
    Several years ago I read or heard something about older adults not taking hot showers.

It said that because of thinner skin which causes veins to be closer to the top of the skin on the elderly, that taking hot baths could be dangerous.

I have an older friend that goes to the spa regularly, it seems lately that he is just acts differently when he gets back now.

He seems to be confused, disoriented, he's quick to get upset or other little things. Its really hard to describe.

He is about 75 and loves to go but I am worried about his mood changes and confusion when he returns now.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2008, 09:45 AM
    I don't think the hot water has anything to do with thin skin - I think it has something to do with changing the person's blood pressure. My elderly mother could not take hot showers as it raised her blood pressure out of this world. She had to take a warm shower instead. Is your friend on any kind of BP medicine? This could definitely make his disoriented and testy having his BP heightened. It is also dangerous to be exposed to very hot water if you have BP problems.
    fastfriend Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 10:13 AM
    I had not thought of that, I will check that out right now. Thank you so much for this answer.

Mary

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damage skin from using monobenzone? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm just curious to know is their anyone out there that has sufferd damage skin due to monobenzone use? And if so can you share your experience? I hear a lot of good stories about monobenzone but nobody wants to talk about the downside and in what time frame has one experience problems Thanks...

Water damage [ 1 Answers ]

My 98 honda civic coupe was flooded water level was up to the door water went in the car my ecu (computer)might have gotten wet it started for about 45 minutes then went dead. Can Anybody Help thanks

Thin skin [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have thin skin.. and my veins are showing and my face. Can I use aha/glycolic products for a long period??

Veins and thin skin [ 1 Answers ]

This may be a really stupid question but I am a 32 y/o mother of two and becoming very neurotic about my appearance. I've never really had tight skin and I've become to get spider veins on both my legs and face. I know there is treatment for them so I'm okay with them for now but what I'm worried...

Skin damage from sticky band-aid [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've just recently had surgery, so I used some Curad gauze to cover up my scabs to protect them. Well, I didn't know that these gauze's adhesive sides would stick to my skin so tightly that they left some glue residue and skin redness. Since I used them repeatly for 1 week, now that I'm done...

View more questions Search