Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksb Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Vaginal prolapse
    What would cause a dog to have a vaginal prolapse?
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 7, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Nobody really knows why it happens to some dogs and not others. What we do know is that once it has happened once, it will probably happen every time this dog goes into heat. She needs to be spayed after this cycle is over. (I am assuming you've had her to the vet and had the prolapsed tissue put back in place and sutured.)

Jun 8, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by carolbcac
    Nobody really knows why it happens to some dogs and not others. What we do know is that once it has happened once, it will probably happen every time this dog goes into heat. She needs to be spayed after this cycle is over. (I am assuming you've had her to the vet and had the prolapsed tissue put back in place and sutured.)
    Let me tell you more, I show Boxers, I don't breed hardly ever but you can't have them fixed if you are showing them... That’s just the way it is. But here is the big one I have been showing for 10 years. I moved in this house 5 years ago. Since I have moved here I have had about 6 prolapsed. And each time I get the dog fixed when this happens because I don’t want this to happen to her agene. It looks so bad, and painful.
    I have change food on these poor dogs because I thought maybe it was that. They get lots of play time. I was told by the vets that it is hereditary and I have been told it’s genetic also. But these dogs are from all over the world how can they all get the same thing. I thought maybe I have a carrier or maybe it environmental. If no one knows for shore that how can they be weeded out. I live on 2 acres that was a coal mine land. My house is 108 years old this year. I have worked myself to death trying to make sure there is nothing here to hurt them or make them sick? :(
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 9, 2008, 07:42 PM
    As far as I know the problem has no rhyme or reason. I think that there is a general feeling that vaginal prolapse is hereditary but no proof that I know of. The estrogen levels that go up when the dog is in heat causes the tissues of the reproductive tract to swell, but shouldn't cause so much that the vaginal lining falls out.
    KSB, you've probably already done this, but I would look at the dogs' pedigrees to see if there is a common ancestor way back that could be the source. Even though your dogs come from different places, you may find that a very good dog may have been widely used at stud.. Just a thought. A spectacular conformation dog can sometimes carry an oddball gene that doesn't show up until generations later and someone realizes the connection.
    As far as I know, there is no environmental cause and exercise levels wouldn't make a difference.
    The best advice that I know of is to not breed an affected dog; until the genetics are worked out, best to take the conservative route.

Jun 10, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by carolbcac
    As far as I know the problem has no rhyme or reason. I think that there is a general feeling that vaginal prolapse is hereditary but no proof that I know of. The estrogen levels that go up when the dog is in heat causes the tissues of the reproductive tract to swell, but shouldn't cause so much that the vaginal lining falls out.
    KSB, you've probably already done this, but I would look at the dogs' pedigrees to see if there is a common ancestor way back that could be the source. Even though your dogs come from different places, you may find that a very good dog may have been widely used at stud....? Just a thought. A spectacular conformation dog can sometimes carry an oddball gene that doesn't show up until generations later and someone realizes the connection.
    As far as I know, there is no environmental cause and exercise levels wouldn't make a difference.
    The best advice that I know of is to not breed an affected dog; until the genetics are worked out, best to take the conservative route.
    Well, I have looked at the pedigrees for years and I try to not have dogs that are related, but sometimes way back in there they are. But it's not a norm.
    I don't really have time for breedings, and if I did want to the females that I would have wanted to use are the ones that end up with the problem. And I always get them fixed because I would not want to make more dogs with this problem. Well Thank you for taking the time to talk to me. KSB;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just vaginal bumps [ 2 Answers ]

My friend recently told me that she has noticed bumps around her area... She says there is no color to the bumps, no itch, no pain, no dicharge or puss... I've been searching for possible reasons or what it could be but I'm just at a loss... What could it be?

Vaginal smell? [ 21 Answers ]

Hello there, right I have been having this odd odour now for a long time. Ive had tests everything has come back normal. I get a white discharge that doesn't smell.. it looks normal to me. I have no itching or discomfort at all. I know this sounds vile but if I touch around my vulva I have quite a...

Vaginal bumps [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys. I'm really scared Cuase its been a few weeks Since I've noticed that I have bumps inside my vagina. There like on the walls not inside And I've looked up every std trying to study it, but I can't find what I have. It looks kind of like a pimple. But my mom said vaginal systs run in...

Vaginal wall prolapse? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently wrote telling that I have a lump on the inside of my vagina and that I have not stopped bleeding since having my baby 9 weeks ago well I took the advice from nowwhat and went to c the doctor and she said I have vaginal wall prolapse and that I should do pelvic floor exercises and it...

View more questions Search