Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Part of the problem could be from the wall acting as a heat sink. This would effect the thermostat operation but it would not stop the unit from cooling correctly. It would cause errors in both the sensed temp and the read temp on the dial. That is why a separate thermostat should be used for all temp readings.
    tflorida Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Hi, T-Top and HVAC1000

I just wanted to thank you and let you know how this ended up.

First, I want you to know that you were right about the pressure not being correct. The builder called another A/C expert from an outside firm who determined that the pressure was too low - the difference between the intake and the output was only 16.

After these tests were done the builder agreed to replace the 1.5 ton unit with a 2 ton unit at no cost to us.

Thanks so much for your outstanding information and advice. I just wished that they would have listened two weeks ago.

Your doing a great service for people like us and I don't know how to thank you enough.

Tom, Brigitte, and Steven White
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Is the return air grill located centrally in the condo? If so, the stat should be near it to measure the air returning. The stat needs to be on an inside wall, free from drafts including supply vents blowing on it. A different thermostat probably wouldn't help. And you have the 16th floor issue... roof heat and heat from below. Does the air conditioning cool the unit, despite what the thermostat does or is the false reading over cooling the condo?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Gurgling Sound when AIr Conditioner Runs [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 2-year old heat pump and just today we notice the sound of gurgling water in our basement shower drain when the air conditioner runs. The sound is NOT heard in any of the other drains in the house. What could be causing this sound?

Blower fan runs for hours [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Luxaire furnace model PCLU-LD14N100A, the furnace comes on and runs for 10 minutes or so but when the heat shuts off the blower keeps running, the only way to shut it off is to turn off the power switch on the side of the furnace, it doesn't do it every time, only about 25 percent of the...

AC fan runs slow, but switch to heat fan runs normal [ 3 Answers ]

The other morning I came into the house and noticed the ac was not working. I turned off the breaker to the unit for a few minutes. Then turned it back on. Went to the thermostat pushed it over to auto and the fan came on but ran very slow. I them turned it off. Then turn on the heat, the fan...

Central air conditioner runs for over 1 hour before kicking off is this normal? [ 1 Answers ]

My central air conditioner Heat pump just started running for over an hour before kicking off and only cools 1 degree.. we had thermostat replaced 2 days before this started happening... what should we do?

Window Air Conditioner fan runs when you turn it off. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Hampton Bay AC (110 v) window AC unit with a fan that continues to run after you turn the power switch to off. It runs for 4-5 minutes after you switch it "off", then the fan turns off. It has never done this before, so I know it isn't proper operation. The lights on the LED display...

View more questions Search