Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Amit:

If you are on F-1 visa status for only one day in 2005, you are technically required to file Form 8843.

That said, the IRS' enforcement of this policy is rather lax, so if you are on F-1 status for less than half of the year, you would file as a resident alien and filing the Form 8843 is no really necessary in the eyes of the IRS because the filing of the resident alien form (Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ) would confirm that you have changed to a different visa, months likely H-1.

If you are on H-1 or H-1B visa in 2006, you will will as a resident alien (Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ) and will not have to file Form 8843 for Tax Year 2006.
    amitsworld21 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 10:59 AM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    I Guess that rounds off most of my doubts, I will use all the info from this messageboard to fill up my taxes (Hopefully soon... and also hope that won't run into trouble while actually filling up the forms)
    Thanks a lot AtlantaTaxExpert
    Amit
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2006, 02:24 PM
    Glad to help!

Mar 17, 2006, 07:12 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    I need your help with my friends case... you have been really helpful and I guess u would be the same this time too... so let me thank you intiially for all this... my friends income is less than the standard deduction and the exemption amount, so the line 12 and line 14 have negative values... i.e his income was 3792.. the deduction and exemption are total 8200 so line 14 calculates out to be -4408... should he put it as the negative number or just leave it as 0.
    On another topic I went to H & R block and they had me fill up 8833 also.. although finally looking that I knew more about india-tax treaty (thanks to you).. the lady said don't pay H & R block $150 for nothing... as I had also accurately calculated my tax before but still wanted to fill up the taxes with pro services.. so finally I didn't use H & R block and will be filling in my taxes on my own... I owe this to u
    thanks a lot
    amit
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2006, 10:26 PM
    Leave it at zero!

Glad to help! Feels good to be helpful!

Mar 22, 2006, 12:58 PM
    Hey AtlantaTaxExpert
    I hope your doing fine.. same here.. had one more query.. more of a query than a question.What is this 8833 form? Do you think I need to fill that form up? I haven't seen anyone fill up the form and no one evrs speaks about it. I guess you are the only one who can put some light on the issue.
    Thanks
    Amit
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Form 8833 is used to explain detailed citations from tax treaties. It may be needed if you have a complicated treaty exemption, but most people do not need it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

States with the most sunshine [ 12 Answers ]

I have heard that Washington and Michigan are the worst states for sunshine. I would like to see a list of all 50 states that shows which has the most sunshine. Could you get me such a list or tell me where to go to get that list? Our family is dealing with Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Filing Tax for 2 states [ 1 Answers ]

I am working as a software consultant in IOWA and my employer is in NJ. My employer has given me a w 2 which is for NJ. I have worked in IOWA only in last year. I did not earn any income in NJ. Because my employer is in NJ, my withheld state tax goes is going to NJ. For which state Should I file...

2 W2's from 2 States [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1st W2 from NY and 2nd from CA. I know that I have to use my total income from 2 W2's for federal tax. How about state tax? Should I use total income for both states? Or I should use NY income only from NY for NY state tax and CA income for CA state tax? Thanks for help.

Taxes for two States [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in US from 2004 on L1 visa, and last year my company filed a return for me.I was transferred from Helena,Montana to Minneapolis and I travelled on my car and took my things along with me. By what rate I can claim the transportation.What form should I use to claim the amount. I was...

View more questions Search