Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siddhartha gandhi Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 12:49 PM
    1040 for Resident Aliens
    I am on F1 Visa status since Dec 2003 and currently on OPT.

I went through the instructions in details, at:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nr.pdf

On page 2 of 45, I pass the substantial presence test. Does that mean this makes me "resident alien for tax puproses" and I can fill 1040.

Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

- Siddhartha
    himanshu612 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 01:45 PM
    Although you are on OPT, you are still on F1 visa and considered as a non-resident alien.

I hope this helps.
    siddhartha gandhi Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 02:45 PM
    Thanks for the prompt response.
    To my knowledge, as is evident from pub 519, I will be a "resident alien for tax puproses", anyway I take your word for it. It would be great if you can provide me a link to some publication that mentions the policies for F1 visa holders for filing taxes.

Thanks,
    Siddhartha
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2006, 09:55 PM
    Siddhartha:

Even though you have been in the United States for over two years, the time while under the F-1 visa does not count towards the Substantial Presence Test, as you are an "exempt individual". This is detailed in IRS Pub 519.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Illegal aliens [ 62 Answers ]

With over 10 million illegal aliens in the U.S who is to blame and how would you solve this problem?:cool:

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Nonresident aliens and state sales taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I moved to the US from Canada on a TN (now H1B) status in August 2005 and so will be filing my US taxes as a nonresident alien for 2005. (I didn't meet substantial presence.) My question is: does anybody know if nonresident aliens can deduct state and local SALES taxes? I live in Florida,...

1040NR or 1040 if 1040 returns are more [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert you are AWESOME :) Thanks for all who help us. I am qualified for 1040NR and I filled out both forms 1040NR-EZ and 1040 to check. 1) Can I claim qualified education expenses? Because I pay the loan of 5400 and also paid around 250$ of interest. If I add 5400 as ...

Do nonresident aliens file state taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

So if someone is a nonresident for federal purposes, than he is a nonresident for all states or is resident in state where the university is located? Confusion, confusion...

View more questions Search