Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donaldbhenry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 12:03 PM
    New product
    I would like to start a business making a new product. The product would be made from a finished product from one manufacturer and modifing that product. As an example suppose I bought 3-m scotch tape with adhesive on one side and then coated the other side with another adhesive (say Dupont) , which would represent a double sided tape; and, then sold the product under another name - say Fancy Tape. Would I have to get the permission of either 3-M or Dupont to make this new product?
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Mar 6, 2006, 08:41 PM
    People who make VCR's don't need the permission of screw manufacturers. I think it all depends on how much you are changing the product, and how recognizable the product would be in its finished form. From the example you gave, I would suggest that you would need to get permission, and I'd suspect that 3-M wouldn't provide it (they also make 2-sided tape).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Hello donald:

I actually think you can use their product in any way you wish. You very well may have to re-package it so no original name appears, but you may not. Frankly, I don't think there's a definitive answer given the limited information you provided.

Instead, let me relate this story: I went into the security business. Not being a technical dude, I used off the shelf readily available electronic equipment. I put the different parts together in such a way that they performed the service that was selling. I did NAME my service, which of course was different than the labels that were on the equipment, which I didn't remove. I had no trouble from anybody. As a matter of fact, the manufacturer of the equipment was thrilled that I was buying so much of his stuff.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2006, 05:03 PM
    Of course as long as you are using someone else's product, they will be in control of your pricing, when they ship it to you, how much you can get at one time and so on.

For example you will merely be using their product in the manufactor of your product, as a car radio in a car, or a spring in a ink pen.

You will need to find a supplier and get a written contract for a certain number of units at a certain price in a certain time frame.

You can if you buy enough buy direct from the manufactor or you may have to pay though a distrubtion center if you don't buy a large enough amount.

The product would be bought without packaging, or labeling, unless it is agreed to keep certain making or "made from" on the label you are going to use. You could not use their name or trademark without permission

Of course you also have to check to see no one else has a patient on the idea already, and also patient your idea so it can not be stolen very easy.

If you are a mom and pop operation, a large company that wants to steal your idea will basically drive your bankrupt in court action. So always beware.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Product Cost? [ 3 Answers ]

Out of the following which are considered product cost? a. Depreciation on the production plant b. Depreciation on the corporate offices c. Paper, toner, and miscellaneous supplies for the office copy machines d. Wages of production-line employees e. Raw materials used in the production of...

Product corruption [ 6 Answers ]

didn't want to retort but I feel it necessary. a certain person has chosen to write things about which me which are irrelevant and untrue - fair enough. to misguide a whole board - a no go. I have been in contact with various internet scam fraud prevention authorities, in time people who...

Have Any Of You Used This Product [ 1 Answers ]

Have any of you ever ordered anything off WWW.DRULAPRODUCTS.COM?? im dark skin and i am trying to lighten my skin. :d

View more questions Search