Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrs26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Magic Jack
    Has anyone heard of Magic Jack? Or is there anyone who has used it and what's your opinion? If I wanted to call Iraq do I have to send one to them also? Or is it that I just have to buy one and fix it to my comp and start calling anywhere in the world?

Please help me if anyone knows about this...
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 11:07 AM
    I've been tempted to try it but haven't yet. I'm happy with Vonage at $25 per month for all features including long distance (which includes much of Europe).

$20 per year sounds too good to be true so I presume it to be so. There's GOT to be a catch, so I don't want to give them $20 to find out what that catch is.

... I'll be watching. I'd love to hear from someone who's used it successfully - With No "Catches" - for at least 4 months.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Previous thread here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/voice-...ght=magic+jack
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Ok, I have tried it, from previous post, and to be honest, it works great.
    No trouble with hook up, calls clear, and no issues at all.
    Customer service has been great and easy.

They had a small error in my mailing address, I sent one email, they correct it, and responded back in minutes.
    It is not slowing any of my computers down. I would remember that on the few complaints I have heard from some of the complaint sites, has anyone ever saw the number of complaints on people like Bell telephone, Cingular, Comcast and so on. I am not saying there are no problems, I am sure any company has many.
    Vinj Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 11:27 PM
    I have an MJ account as a back up for my Onesuite prepaid phone card and voip services. For what's its worth, MJ is a worthy voip back up.
    ROBERT4328 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 08:13 AM
    I have a magicjack email me phone # at [email protected] and I will call you on magicjack
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rrs26 View Post
    Has anyone heard of Magic Jack? Or is there anyone who has used it and whats ur opinion? If I wanted to call Iraq do I have to send one to them also? Or is it that I just have to buy one and fix it to my comp and start calling anywhere in the world?

Please help me if anyone knows about this....

Just for educ purposes>... Im using one. As I understand, if your from US, you don't need to have a magicjack. Magicjack is for people who wants to call US numbers for free. If both parties are not from US, they both should have a magicjack. As per connection, its clear. If its not clear, its your internet connection. It works great for 2mbps and up.
    ROBERT4328 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 03:44 PM
    Ok, I have tried it, from previous post, and to be honest, it works great.
    No trouble with hook up, calls clear, and no issues at all.
    Customer service has been great and easy.
    SanDeeW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 08:47 PM

Hello I bought my magic jack at radio shack and have been using it 7 months... It works great., no problems at all... love to save $$$$ this one is a biggie.
    superk Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Sep 2, 2009, 02:53 AM

Just for further information in the future so no the same questions again.

If you're both in the US or Canada and doesn't have national calling plan, you need a MJ. (FYI)

If you're in the US or Canada you don't need to have a magic jack since its country code is 1. That person in Iraq is the one who needs it for you to call each other. His magic jack will have its own US number (an area code of his choice as long as it's available). For you to call that MJ in Iraq for free using your homophone with just local plan, you must share the same area code.

If you're not in the US, then both of you must have MJ. Yes you may buy that person in Iraq his own magic jack, mail it to him, set it up himself and call each other and yes you can call anybody in the world who got magic jack for free. Make sure you bought it from a legitimate local distributor so someone can support you when in technical trouble. It's just plug and play and very easy to set up.

Magic jack is internet and power dependent. If the speed is not good, then the calling will be affected or there's no power, you can't place a call. There are times that it gets virus and reboots itself while on the call but it's good in general.

Magic jack is not plugged in the computer all the time because it heats up so you can just leave each other a VM when the other person is unavailable. You can also set up an email so you can just play your VM in realplay or in windows media player. It also has caller ID, 3 way calling and capable of calling 1800 numbers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Magic [ 9 Answers ]

Is magic really real and who invented it?? :confused:

What is magic? [ 31 Answers ]

Could someone please explain that: Magic is different than Magick which is different than devil worship. I'd explain my view of the difference, but don't want to get "thumped" anymore. Thanks in advance

Big Magic [ 7 Answers ]

:( Over the years I have seen the space shuttle and planes vanish live on TV.I have been told the people in the audience did not see the plane or shuttle vanish. The plane and shuttle did not vanish.The people were told to act as if it had vanished. Does anyone feel this is what happens on TV?...

Magic Eye [ 1 Answers ]

For my art subject, I want to create a magic eye where you can see a logo I have designed. Does anybody know where I can download a magic eye creator that lets you incorperate your own designs into the magic eye?

View more questions Search