Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheply Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Documents and Settings User Name Added .NUMBERSLETTERS?
    Hello, Ever since I purchased my computer a year ago, I have been bothered by the fact that my name (one of the folders under Documents and Settings) mysteriously had ".934ECOB9DOFF49A" added to it, thus making a ridiculously long path. Is there any way to remove this, or can anyone tell me why it happened? I have a Sony Vaio and use Windows XP Home. Any insight would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Peter_sgc Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 10:53 AM
    This is probably Due to either:
    1. Migration of setting from either an old computer to a new computer
    2. A Dupe account being created
    3. The way sony Preinstalles their Laptops

You could create yourself a new user and then dump all of files across to the new path.

Or you could REFORMATT and Start Again.

But why do u need to use that path?

--Peter
    sheply Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 05:53 PM
    Hi Peter-

Despite the severe delay (illness), I hope you get this.

To answer your question, I just used this path because My Documents and everything seem to default to this ridiculous :o folder:
    Christina Shepherd.934EC0B9D0FF49A

I am completely ignorant and confused about the file structure setup under Documents and Settings, with administrator, default user, and then this ridiculous folder. Are you saying that I just create a new user and copy over the information from this folder? It will not let me delete this folder, but maybe I can just leave it empty?

I am the only user on my PC. I have named my PC sheply's, so in the My Computer folder tree, there is a folder called "sheply's documents" there, which is the same as "my documents" under this "christin"... folder! Is there a way to simplify all the user settings structure down to a single one?

If I reformat- does that completely delete my existing c drive and could I piece-meal things in from a windows backup on another drive, or would that simply recreate the entire structure?

Please help- this is out of control! Thanks!
    Christina
    Peter_sgc Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2006, 01:02 PM
    OK :)

Let’s see if we can narrow some things down. :D

The Documents and settings folder of windows XP is were windows holds all the information about every user that has an account on the computer.

(By default there is always an administrator account. If your using XPHome this account is not available to you.)

Under this folder (Documents and settings) there are other folders named with each of the users that have accounts on that computer.

Say, Steve, Phill and Jessie.

When Steve logs on he has a different desktop to Phill and Jessie. This is because his desktop icons and items are stored in the folder

C:\documents and settings\Steve\desktop

This is the same for the my documents folder

C:\documents and settings\Steve\my documents

(NOTE: if you are logged in as a different user the folder can sometimes be called %user%'s Documents, where %user% is the username of the user’s documents folder)

Normally during normal windows operations u don’t need to use the patch C:\documents and settings\%user%\?

As the my documents folder on your desktop should take you directly there.

I hope this clears up something for you.

If you would like some more detailed help I am available on MSN messenger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Documents and Settings User Name Added .NUMBERSLETTERS? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Ever since I purchased my computer a year ago, I have been bothered by the fact that my name (one of the folders under Documents and Settings) mysteriously had ".934ECOB9DOFF49A" added to it, thus making a ridiculously long path. Is there any way to remove this, or can anyone tell me why it...

C:/Documents and Settings/Owner... access denied?? [ 11 Answers ]

Cripes, good grief and Shazam! I border on the obsessed with my internet security. I have Norton and do a fully system scan regularly every week. Then about two weeks ago, noted that Norton was having some sort of problem. I called and got help getting it uninstalled and immediately...

Reinstalled xp, how do I restore my settings/user accounts [ 2 Answers ]

Today, while I was working, my computer encountered an error and had t be shut down. When I restarted it, it would not boot, saying there was an error in the registry key somethin-sommethin/SOFTWARE. Anyway, I tried multiple ways of starting the computer in safe mode, last known configuration,...

Having you URL added to favourites ? [ 2 Answers ]

When people visit my webpage I would like to give them the possibility to add my URL automatically to their favourites ? (With the Microsoft IE function) How do I facilitate this from the program I use i.e. Netobjects Fusion ? Now they see only 'Home'

View more questions Search