Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmgarnett Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Can't renew my IP address
    Hi
    I have broadband cable Internet that keeps going off - I believe it's because my IP address won't renew - or that's what it says. I've tried renewing it and it won't work - when I do 'ipconfig' the address starts with 169 and I'm led to believe it should start with a 192 (according to my broadband provider NTL). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    nmgarnett
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2006, 10:50 AM
    An IP that start with 192 means am internal addresses supplied by a DHCP server. Do you have a router? Is your cable modem getting an IP OK.

Mar 6, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Hi Scottgem
    I don't really know anymore than I've said - when I do IP config I get the 169 IP address but when I do repair connection it won't repair saying can't renew IP address - I've also tried doing 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' and nothing happens - I'm stumped
    nmgarnett

Mar 6, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Sorry, just have a cable modem - how do I check if it's getting an IP address?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2006, 10:59 AM
    You need to talk to your carrier's tech support then. Generally if your PC is connected directly to the cable modem, it should get its IP from the cable modem.

Mar 6, 2006, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You need to talk to your carrier's tech support then. Generally if your PC is connected directly to the cable modem, it should get its IP from the cable modem.
    Thanks for this, I'll check tomorrow
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 7, 2006, 07:12 PM
    Are you running any kind of a firewall on your PC that could be blocking DHCP requests? If so try to disable it and try to do your DHCP renew again. Also, just because your IP starts with 192 doesn't necessarily mean that it is internal. Only if your IP starts with 192.168 will your IP belong to a "private" IP network (RFC1918). Your ISP could very well have registered IP addresses that start with 192.

Mar 8, 2006, 12:47 AM
    Thanks Cajalet...
    I've since discovered that the cable modem wasn't getting an IP address from the network server - new modem on the way - thanks again to everyone.
    nmgarnett

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Hi Scottgem
    You were absolutely right - modem is not getting IP address from the server - there's a new one on the way - just like to say thanks to you for the fantastic community help - great.
    nmgarnett

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot renew my IP address. [ 16 Answers ]

Hey I am new here and I was just wondering why I cannot renew my IP. I have tried for a month or so now and Google search after Google search, I am getting more frusterated. I haven't seen or heard of a problem like mine. The problem I am having is my IP address will not renew, yet I have an...

Can't Renew IP Address [ 11 Answers ]

I have Verizon Fios on my desk top and two laptop computers. One laptop connects automatically, np. The other laptop will not connect, (OS is Windows XP). I have used the commands ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. It will release but not renew. So I went to- My network...

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Can't renew IP Address.. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All, I am in need of some serious help. I'm using dell computer running on XP. I use a Belkin USB adapter to connect to the internet, but I'm using windows own "wireless network connection" software to connect to the interet. I connect to Airport Express, using the belkin USB but now I...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

View more questions Search