Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dancing queen Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Received a summons today
    I received a summons today from a debt collector who has been calling our house but have received nothing in writing from. I asked them about 2 weeks ago to send me something but they never did - said they sent something back in March but we never got it. The company is Mann Bracken. Yesterday I sent a letter requesting validation of the debt priority mail as I started looking online at the company. What info should I file with the court? Should I send a copy of my request to the Court? Any advise would be appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 5, 2008, 06:21 AM
    You are doing this backwards. What you needed to do was answer the summons indicating your Intent to Defend against the suit. You then send a copy of that answer to the plaintiff with a request for verification of the debt.

Still not to late, send in the answer to the court and copy the plaintiff with a second reqwuest for verification.

Jun 5, 2008, 06:29 AM
    I sent the verification of the debt yesterday not realizing they were suing me. I was served this morning. Should I attach a copy of the validation letter to my answer to the court?

Jun 5, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Not necessary, but doesn't hurt.

Jun 5, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Thanks so much!
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 5, 2008, 06:52 AM
    You likely have either 20 or 30 days to respond to the summons. Responding - at least in most places - simply means that you're letting the court know that yes, you did get the summons notice and yes, you're going to do something about it.

What your next step is really isn't as important as repsonding promptly to the court.

Your next step should be contacting the attorney's office that initiated the suit. They don't want to go to court - and neither do you. Be very, very honest with them about what happened to cause you to be behind or in a non-payment status. They'll try to be tough with you... don't let that freak you out. Keep communicating with them - and you should be able to work out an out of court settlement that meets both of your needs.

Jun 5, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STG
    Your next step should be contacting the attorney's office that initiated the suit. They don't want to go to court - and neither do you. Be very, very honest with them about what happened to cause you to be behind or in a non-payment status. They'll try to be tough with you...don't let that freak you out. Keep communicating with them - and you should be able to work out an out of court settlement that meets both of your needs.
    I disagree with this. You should not admit to the debt until they verify it. Simply state that you can neither confirm nor deny the debt until you receive proof that you incurred it. Once they have verified the debt and their right to collect it, you can then start dealing with a settlement.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 5, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I disagree with this. You should not admit to the debt until they verify it. Simply state that you can neither confirm nor deny the debt until you receive proof that you incurred it. Once they have verified the debt and their right to collect it, you can then start dealing with a settlement.
    Absolutely.

My assumption was that it was a valid debt

Jun 5, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STG
    Absolutely.

My assumption was that it was a valid debt
    Ahh OK, but in the original post she indicated that she had been asking for verification since they started contacting her.

Jun 8, 2008, 06:51 PM
    I received confirmation that the debt collector received my request for validation of the debt - which also included a request that they stop calling and correspond with me in writing only. I am continuing to get calls from them - is it illegal for them to do that even though they are suing me? If so, what recourse do I have. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received a Court Summons for ? [ 4 Answers ]

I just received a court summons to give testimony from a juvenile court. What does that mean? I am age 24 at the moment, could this letter be for another person? I don't know what the case is about. It does not tell me on the letter. If anyone has any information, please help me out. Should I go to...

Received summons [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a summons today. The charge off date was 09-30-99. The open date was 1-30-00 This company purchased the debt on 9-30-06 Is this past the SOL?

I received a summons from a company [ 10 Answers ]

That bought 8 of my credit cards and they want their $20,000. I do not deny that I owe that amount, even though the amounts are higher, but asking them to validate and send me receipts is going to make my amount owed higher, because I have to pay for attorney and court costs. So lets say that I...

View more questions Search