Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hopeful265 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 03:44 AM
    Living on Long Island
    Okay, here's the deal. I've had a boarder in my house since February. Every week there's been an issue about either catching up on his board payment or security (which he caught up on). Now, I've decided to sell my house and I have a for sale sign out in front of my house because I will be listing it soon. My boarder now uses that excuse to not pay the rent. He says that he assumed he had to move so he's living out his security, yet he said he didn't want to move. Initially, I told him that until the house was sold he had no reason to move and he would be given plenty of notice if they didn't want him to stay on. Then I asked him for the rent and he said he didn't have it. At this point, I agreed with his decision because I just don't need the aggravation, and wrote him a letter stating so and will expect him to vacate by the end of the month.

He also claimed he is a spend thrift and blows all his money as soon as he gets it (probably has a swiss bank account or two.. lol). I have given him several chances to give me the rent and he was 15 days late last month.

He gets 2 Workmen's Compensation checks a month (double what his room and board is BTW) and also works off the books for a friend doing construction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 03:54 AM
    Another issue, is this a "legal" renter, is your home zoned to allow you to rent. If it is, you have no problem, you can take him to housing court, evict him, and be able to sue him for all the money he owes you.

If on the other hand this is not a legal rental, he can sue you for all the rent he has paid you, ( you have to give him all the rental money back)

So if this is a illegal renter, best bet, let him live out his deposit and feel yourself lucky.
    Hopeful265 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 08:03 PM
    He gets 2 Workmen's Compensation checks a month (double what his room and board is BTW) and also works off the books for a friend doing construction. Is that legal?
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Jul 20, 2008, 10:33 PM
    A major issue for you will be if he leaves at all.

Truth is, -- legal renter or not -- as a renter in NY, you can't force him to leave until you begin legal eviction. You have to notify him, and after the state's legal timeframe (30, 60 days?), a Sheriff is called to evict him for you.

If he is still present when you go to closing, your sale is essentially dead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live part-time NYC and work full-time and live part-timein Long Island am I NYC resi [ 1 Answers ]

For all of 2007, I lived and worked in Suffolk County four days per week, and I lived in the Bronx three days per week (not working during those three days). My employer generated my w-2 form with non-resident status based on my working and living in Suffolk County for my emploment. My question is,...

Rights to tennants living in an apt building for a long time [ 4 Answers ]

I have A question my mom has lived in her building for over 18 years.. can her rent change.and should she be signing a lease.. shes.paid the same amount.new owner raised her rent up 50 dollars.then a new guy is managing the building.and raised another 20 dollars.she was paying rent and...

Living on a small island [ 6 Answers ]

If one lives on a small island what can be done to improve the way of living? How can you make life better? Besides bicycles what other means of transport that doesn't need some sort of fuel can be used? What about shops, what should they do to attract more people and tourists to enter and buy? How...

Security deposit--Long Island, NY [ 1 Answers ]

At the end of August I had given a $850 security deposit for an apartment that I was moving into September 1st. A few days after I had given the deposit, the apartment flooded. The carpets where soaked and the water came in behind the kitchen cabinets. I was told that they had to fix everything...

Long Island Ducks [ 1 Answers ]

Are the Long Island Ducks base ball team, a farm team or connected to a major league team? Lou Lou

View more questions Search