Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reikiwmn Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Back child support being taken from joint return
    My daughters soon to be ex has back child support he owes. They filed a joint return with the IRS ( hope I'm posting in the right place). Well, since he owes the IRS took the whole thing to pay his debt and my daughter made more money than him. Most of that money was hers. She filed an injured spouse form but has heard nothing back yet. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Was the injured spouse filed at the same time as the tax filing. If not it can take longer to match up. She can contact them on the issue
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 07:22 PM
    If she did not file the injured spouce form at the same time then as fr chuck said it can take longer... it is also possible that they (the IRS) won't even recognize it becaue it was filed out of order, they can be pretty darn picky about some of these things. I have clients with these types of questions all the time but if she wants to know she can call the IRS (if she has the time to sit on hold for what seems like forever) to try to figure out what it going on.

Jun 4, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Well, it was not filed at the same time since she had no idea he had back support. She has been trying to get in touch with them and it is pretty hard to get a human to pick up. I wonder if she goes to a local IRS office if she would have more luck getting an answer?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Lol I love your hope on that last question. The truth is that the IRS is super busy no matter if it is on the phone or locally. She can try going in to the local office but she will still have to wait there. I kind of thought she didn't file it at the same time so she still stands a chance of getting it this year but she may just have to learn from it and do it all together next year.

Jun 4, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Thanks for telling me about that, we will just work it that way maybe rather than wasting time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support joint custody [ 2 Answers ]

We have joint custody with me having primary physical custody. My ex husband does not have a child support order in place. I would like to apply for one but have heard that you can't get child support with a joint custody order? And do I have to have a lawyer for this? He lives in another state...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

Can I get child support with joint physical custody in MA? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been divorced for several years. When I was divorced, my husband and I were making roughly the same amount of money and he insisted on joint physical custody. Two years ago I was laid off and my income dropped by more than 40% when I finally found another job. I didn't think I was...

Joint custody/Child support [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I live in CA and have been with my boyfriend for 3 years. His divorce was finalized 8/26/04 and his ex remarried 2 days later. Throughout all the court battles for custody, schooling, and child support he had to pay her $600 a month for alimony (they were only married 6 years) and...

View more questions Search