Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chesterlop Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 09:52 PM
    Not using an attorney, need advice.
    I plan on completing the divorce process myself. We have only been married for 9 months and have nothing to separate. We don't have children, a house, and have not made a single large purchase together. Neither of us want to fight over anything, we simply want to get the divorce behind us as quickly and smoothly as possible.

I live in Georgia. Do we both have to appear at a hearing in front of a judge, or is the process simply paperwork? I think I have all the documents needed, however, it's slightly confusing regarding whether we will have to appear in a court room in front of a judge.

Any advice/help would be great.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2006, 06:55 AM
    On a uncontested divorce, if all of the paper work is done correctly
    ( they do have paralegals in GA that do all the paper work for you, that state allows paralegal ot operate separate offices not connected with attorneys)

But you merely file the paperwork with the court, the judge signs it and basically 30 days after the judge signs it , you are officially divorced.

(not sure why or if the 30 day rule is still in effect but it was as of about 10 year ago in GA) I guess it is a period to allow each party to receive their copies of the court papers. Check with the clerk, I believed three orgninal copies of all the paper work had to be submitted but it has been a while.

Of course if anything is not filled out correctly it will be returned without actually telling you what was not filled out correctly normally,

Mar 6, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm glad we don't have to appear in court, that would make the process tougher for both of us. I wasn't sure because a book I've been reading "How to file for divorce in Georgia" made it seem like we may have to appear in court. However, there is a book by the same author with the same title for just about every state, so I was hoping that wasn't true for GA, and was just a general rule.

Just to make sure I'm completing the correct paperwork- I have a Petition for Divorce, Affidavit of Consent, and a Marital Settlement Agreement. Do we simply complete these forms and file them with the court? It can't be that simple...

Is there anything I should be aware of?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2006, 09:13 AM
    And pay the fee to file the papers in court, the last time I did one in GA, they wanted 3 original not copies of where you signed, If you are using the basic fill in the blank forms, of course keep some blank ones in case you make an error. There are also some online companies that will do the forms for you also.

But remember most of this is guidelines, you county may have a judge who likes to lector the divorcing couple or question them but normally this is not done in non contested divorces. Your judge does have the option to require you to appear.

Normally he merely signs these types of papers in his office during his office hours.

Mar 6, 2006, 09:53 AM
    I want the process to go as smoothly as possible to not make it any harder on both of us than it has to be.

- Are there any reasons the judge wouldn't sign off on the divorce? I plan to fill out the forms I received online.

- Do we need to list financial info on the agreement? The reason I ask is because we already created separate bank accounts and split up our finances. We don't have any joint accounts. Each of us are taking the items we owned prior to marriage, we have not made any large purchases during our marriage. There is really nothing to separate, I was thinking of listing in the agreement something like "Both husband and wife are entitled to everything owned prior to marriage" (of cource is a more professional way).

- How will we know when the divorce is final?

I appreciate the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any attorney will do. PLEASE READ! [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I got victimized in a scam at http://www.roommates.com/. Like an idiot, I took a $3,000 check from a hot chick and planned to wire her the remainder of the funds after the check cleared. After doing everything I knew to do to make sure the check was legit, I deposited it. As you...

Right to have attorney appointed [ 2 Answers ]

In virginia is it true that you are to receive council appointed by the court within 72hrs?

Power of Attorney? [ 2 Answers ]

I will most likely not be present when we close on our house. I want to handwrite a power of attorney and get it notarized. Will this be sufficient? Here is an example of what I will write: To Whom It May Concern: I, insert name, born on insert date with social security number insert...

Power of attorney info [ 1 Answers ]

I ned info for a speech to teenagers

View more questions Search