Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 10:36 PM
    American Family Insurance Job
    Is American Family Insurance one of those jobs with a desk fee? Or that you have to obtain $1,500 in licenses and have 7 interviews before you actually start working or is this a legitimate job?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 05:39 AM
    What are they asking for ? There are certain areas in insurance you need certs for, but there are jobs within that don't. I am not familiar with the name of the company, possibly because I am from Ontario. But I did work for an insurance here for a good number years but didn't get as far as being certified to underwrite policies.
    Vision Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 12:24 PM
    They aren't asking for anything, I'm asking people that are familiar with the company to see if it is worth applying to so that I know whether I am wasting my time or not.
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Chi, I only replied because I thought you were applying for some position. That's why I asked, what are they asking for ? Pertinent question, I thought. Or, let me put it this way, have they an ad out looking for people to join their company ? Is that better ?
    Vision Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Yes, there is a Craig's List posting, and I wasn't sure if it was another rip-off or if its worth applying for.
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Chi, if its all done on line, then its worth your time. Try it.
    Vision Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 02:19 PM
    If it's a crap job it's not worth applying for. That's what I am trying to find out.
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Okay, then what do you want us to say ? Don't do it. Okay don't do it, its probably a crap job. Surely if you are looking for a job, you are obviously not a novice, then get the ads out, go on line to all the jobsites, hunt, hunt, and hunt. If need be get out on the street and waste some shoe leather. I can't tell you how many absolutely crumby jobs I have had in the past to make a buck and I am sure many will tell you the same thing. I didn't stop at anything to find a job when I was as young as you. That's why I am where I am right now.
    Vision Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 03:38 PM
    No offense, but I was not asking for job search advice. I am doing fine. I just wanted to know if this was a desk fee job. I was assuming someone that does or has worked there or know someone that has would reply.

**That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your advice, I do!
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jun 4, 2008, 04:17 PM
    You'd have to contact the company to find out if it is a desk fee job. A lot of insurance companies (even legitimate ones) will have you pay for your certifications. Some will reimburse you, some won't, but all insurances classes for certifications cost something, and if you don't pay for it, the employer might.

I had a friend get on at an insurance company and they paid for it, I interviewed at one and they wanted me to pay for it. So it just depends on the company and how they see employees/future employees as a liability or not. My friend had to sign a contract stating she would work for them for a year at least and if she quit before that year she'd have to pay back the fees for the certification classes.
    Vision Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 04:21 PM
    I don't mind paying for it, later on down the road. I interviewed for one company where there was a 7-interview process, and I had to pay for all of my licenses before starting the job... So basically it would have cost me $1500 in the interview process, not even for a guaranteed job...
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jun 4, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Yikes, yeah that doesn't sound fun.

The one I interviewed for was a 2 interview process, then you'd start your classes, but you'd have to pay for them. (It was AIG -- it was a trek from my house, so I couldn't see taking the job)

And I think my friend's was a 1 or 2 interview process... it really just depends on the company.
    Vision Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 04:34 PM
    One or two interviews is fine. But I'm looking for a job to EARN money not PAY it. I couldn't afford $1,500 while in the job search process...
    Vision Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Hey Tickle, are you in love with me? My last two greenies are from YOU! YOU Looooooooove meeeeeeee!! :P
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 06:15 PM
    American Family Insurance is one of the well known names. So what job they are advertising for, a secretary, a underwriter, a jantior in one of the large offices, a telemarketer or what.

I will have to assume it is for a commission sales person.
    These are real jobs, I sell insurance part time.
    The thing is you have to have a insurance license, I think the school in most places costs about 175 to 200 to take the class and the test is normally about 50 dollars ( I am sure different states have various prices(
    Now if you want to license in more states, you will have a fee for each state.

There is a lot of money to be made selling insurance, if you like to sell, and if you are good at selling.

This is not a cheat or a rip off, it is just the fact to do some jobs you have to be licensed, real estate is another one.
    Vision Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 06:18 PM
    It's for a sales person. I've interviewed for a few that you had to obtain the license within 6 months.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Yes, here in GA and in TN, you can pay for a temp license that is good for a certain number of months,

I really love these two companies,

AFLAC Insurance Policies for Individuals & Employers | Aflac Insurance their name is very well known and not a lot of competition with other companies.

Farm and Ranch Insurance, they are a brokerage, that carries about 12 different major insurance companies that you can license for.
    Farm and Ranch Healthcare, Inc. - Home Page - Affordable Health and Medical Insurance - Saving money with personalized insurance coverage
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 06:57 PM
    I just like giving credit where credit is due, chi; the hug w as extra because you are really funny sometimes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Health Insurance for family [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , This is Ankitha from Bangalore, India. I want to know about health Insurance. Actually, I am planning to take Health Insurance to my family. I am requesting you to tell me about helath insurance which is the best in INDIA . I mean with in low budget. Thank you Cheers, Ankitha

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Family Floter/ Health Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for Family Floter/ Health Insurance for me(age 34), my wife(32)and two kids below 18. What are the options available?

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

View more questions Search