Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    accountingmajor Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Bad Debts
    I am trying to figure out a problem with bad debts for an adjusting entry. I think I have a clue, but I'm not to sure.

If there is a bad debt estimated to be 1% of accounts receivable, do I just take 1 % of the total amount of accounts receivable and debit bad debts and credit allowance for doubtful accounts. Or is there another step I am missing, because my answer doesn't seem to match the solutions manual...

Can someone please advice me on what step I am missing..

Thank you so much.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 01:45 AM
    This is the analysis of receivable method of estimating bad debt. If you were doing percent of sales method, what you're doing would work.

However, in this method, that 1% you're coming up with is the balance you want to have in the allowance account after the entry is made. For instance, if the account has a credit balance of 1000, and your 1% is 9000, that means you need to credit 8000 to get to the 9000 balance you want. Just watch out if the account has a debit balance in it. Since it's only an estimate, it can have gone negative by year-end. So same senario, but if the prior balance was 500 debit, then you need to credit 9500 to get to the 9000 balance.

Jun 4, 2008, 02:27 AM
    In response to your answer...

I have a debit balance in accounts receivable for $79,400 and a debit balance in allowance for $1873.

Will this be a correct adjusting entry??

(debit) accounts receivable 794
    (credit) allowance for doubtful accounts 794

(debit) Bad Debt Expense 2667
    (credit) allowance for doubtful accounts 2667

THANK YOU!
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 06:59 PM
    No, not at all. First it's AN adjusting entry, not two. You can't touch receivables. Receivables represents customers that owe the company. If you add another 794 to it, who is it that owes the company more money, and why?

You make one entry, debiting the expense and crediting the allowance. The number you come up with taking 1% of receivables is the balance you want after you make the entry. i.e. 794 would be the balance you want to be in the allowance account after the entry. The way you've done it, your two credit entries into the allowance account will come out to be 1588 balance. (That number has no meaning in this problem.)

Make a t account, put an 1873 debit balance in it, leave a blank space for the entry, draw a line, and put 794 under the line as an ending credit balance. You want it to balance to 794. What's the missing number that needs credited in that account to go from the 1873 debit balance to the 794 credit balance? (I would draw a t acct if I could, instead of trying to explain in words.)

I'm assuming with your name being "accountingmajor" that this is for class and not real life? These are some pretty strange numbers for the problem to be using. If there's only to be a 794 balance in the account, it seems very odd that the year ended with an 1873 negative balance in it. That is looking like the estimation of bad debt is WAY too low. Like ridiculously too low. Hard to believe a book would create such a situation, unless they wanted you to analyze it.

Jun 4, 2008, 10:54 PM
    Okay.. I think I'm giving this another shot...

Will the answer just be:

DR: Bad Debt Expense 2667
    CR: Allowance for Doubtful Accounts 2667

** since 1% of the accounts receivable is 79,400 and there is a debit balance of 1873 in allowance for doubtful accounts. By doing the above entry, it will give me a credit for 794...
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 11:51 PM
    Yes, exactly. :-)

Jun 5, 2008, 12:27 AM
    Thanks So Much For The Help!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Debts [ 1 Answers ]

4. A company uses the aging of accounts receivable method to estimate its bad debts expense. On December 31 of the current year an aging analysis of accounts receivable revealed the following: Accounts Receivable Account Age Estimated Uncollectible...

Old debts [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 creditors that are just starting to call me about 2 old credit cards that were from like 12 or more years ago... these were both paid I highly doubt I have the proof that this was paid. Can someone advise me on how to handle this situation?

Debts [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 34 years I was married to a wonderful loving man. He passed away just 7 weeks ago. Needless to say he left me with a lot of credit card debts. And I mean a lot. My question: Since my name was not on these credit card debts and in fact I did not know about most of them until the...

What do I do about debts? [ 2 Answers ]

All of credit cards went to collection and total is 6. Can't pay debt since in school and make too little part time job. Debt range from $78 to many in the thousands (3500). Total credit default debt = 13000. Student loans good standing 40000. What to do? Afraid some collection agency can sue....

Old Debts [ 5 Answers ]

I was just notified by a collector regarding a debt I incurred in 1996.I have not received any prior notice.This was an Emergency Room bill. I do not keep records past 8 years. I have no idea of what if anything I truly owe or paid. Can they come after me after 10 years ?I am in Texas. Susan

View more questions Search