Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AceH Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Window Unit A/C size?
    I plan on getting a room air conditioner window unit as a back up unit to my central a/c system. I will mainly need the window unit for a room 13 x 26 (338 sq ft). Will an 8,000 BTU unit be enough for this size room? This will be used in the hot, humid southern Louisiana climate.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 05:18 PM
    How many windows and what size? Double insulated?
    How much insulation in walls?
    How much insulation in ceiling?
    Door size and placement? Outside? Inside?
    Average mean summer temp?

This is the correct way to size a unit.

Now for a guess. 600 square foot per ton but in your case really hot and humid area I would figure 4 to 500 per ton.

8000 will be close but try to centrally locate the unit so it does not have to try and blow the cooling for 26 feet length.

You also will have to start the unit up sooner than the room will be used because of heat soak in the area has to be cooled and furniture. Everything holds heat and the unit has to work overtime during the first few hours of running in a hot room. Good luck.
    AceH Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 04:18 AM
    The unit will blow air to the width of the room 12.5 ft. (room length is 26 feet). This is a living room/dining room area with an arch separating the two rooms.

The windows are double paned windows. "Low-emissivity ("E" Glass) means Energy - Efficient Windows WeatherGard windows will eliminate air leaks and "E" glass will reflect 40%-70% of the heat that is normally transmitted through clear glass."

DP Rated 55
    R Value - 4.56, UV Block 75%, Solar Heat Gain coefficient .36, Center of Glass U Factor .22

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size window unit [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, I have a rental house that up to this point I have never had air conditioning in. The renter could put a air unit in if they wanted one. *** Had to many stolen by tenants over the years. I want to put a unit in, the house is about 800 sq ft, a small two bedroom , one bath. It has a...

Size of ac unit needed to match a carrrier heating unit [ 3 Answers ]

I had a Carrier natural gas heating unit installed in 2003. Model number 58STA/STX 070 Catalog number 535-80105. My ac unit has gone out and the company I bought the heating unit from has gone out of business. What size ac unit will match the heating unit? Thanks so much!:cool:

Desktop window size shrunk! [ 1 Answers ]

I pressed two buttons near Ctrl-C when I was trying to copy something when using this laptop and I accidentally shrunk my whole desktop window size! I can't change it back and now everything is really small... Help!

Windows Explorer Window Size [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Forum, After a fresh installation of Windows 98SE, when I open a WINDOWS Explorer window, it would be about 8 1/2 inches tall and About 12 1/2 inches wide on my 17 inch monitor. However, when I open any more windows, THEY come out to about

View more questions Search