Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Psychteach Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Dimming a voltage
    I've got a vexing issue in an old house, 1928, that I just bought. I get dimming that is not necessarily related to motor surges. The house has a 200 amp service, but some old and new wiring. I had an electrician out who said the dimming was normal in a house of this age.. but I can't see why with the service that it should be "normal". There doesn't seem to be any abnormal loads on any give circuit. I just measure the volts in most outlets and in each the meter went from 114/115, both at the beginning and end of a circuit, basically throughout the house. I measured an outlet right next to the box, and got the same reading. I read on here that 5% drop is maximum, and it appears that's where I start... I live in a major suburb near a major system, Dominion, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't know it if they were delivering too little juice. Any ideas on what else I can check... I've already had the electrician look at the grounds and neutrals in the box, and he tightened everything down. He said the wire all looked good, old Bx and Romex, but good shape. Thanks in advance.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Measuring voltage like you did is basically a futile exercise.

1st: a couple of questions
    1. Does all of the house dim or part of the house dim?
    2. When does it typically happen? Any large loads running like the AC?

Jun 3, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Only partially one or two lights at a time, not on a specific circuit. Motor load will do it, but not necessarily on lights on its circuit. They dim and come right back up. There is one light in dining room, which on the same circuit as the frig, but only the frig and one other outlet, so I assume it's when the compressor kicks on, that makes sense. But lights do it intermittently by themselves, but not all lights at once.

Jun 3, 2008, 03:07 PM
    But it'll do it without ac, washer, or disposal. What's also interesting, don't see it when garage door opens, that has a motor. I've got s sub panel, that was the house's original fuse box, and it's hooked into one circuit on the box, could that have anything to do with it?
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 05:15 PM
    OK, what you need to do is:

1. Determine if it's sub panel circuits or 1/2 of them like below.

2. Determine if it's confined to one or the other leg of the 240.
    This would probably mean: is it circuits on every other breaker in the fuse box. Counting 240 breakers as taking up 2 spaces.

Do you have underground or overhead wires?

What I am suspecting, is a whole group of lights dim and that there are lights in the house that won't dim. If it's the sub panel circuits then it's an interior problem. If it's one leg of the 240, it could be in the overhead connection to the house, if you have one.

Meaning, it could be your problem or the utilities problem. If there is a light that never dims? That is a good sign. Find a light(s) in the sub that never dims and the main that never dims.

You can check the sub-panel and see if the neutral and ground busses are isolated. If you don't know how to do that, post a picture using go advanced.

If you can say that all circuits on L1 dim and none on L2 dim and an electrician came out to the house and checked the connections inside, then it's time to call the utility to check their side of the system.

What is the lowest voltage scale on your voltmeter for AC?

Jun 3, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Most of this is over my head, but I'll check if it's only isolated sets of lights and see if they are the fuse circuitry... I've been wondering if it's something on the line outside which dangles from a line that runs down the street in front and then ts to my house, and has a fairly long run. All the outlets I tested all read the same thing 114/115, none higher none lower. The setting I put it on was 200, which the guy in the store told me to try. Is it possible that if Dominion took me up to 117 to 120 volts the problem would go away? The electrician didn't seem to think so and although he tightened down the connections in the box, he didn't do anything to the fuse box.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 06:19 PM
    As I said, measuring the voltages mean NOTHING. A poor unloaded connection will read the supply voltage. Only heavily loaded circuits matter. Measuring the voltages o ground at the AC breaker while it's running might tell us something.

Measuring voltages at the main while the AC is on might help too.

AC = Air conditioner

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dimming of low voltage lights [ 7 Answers ]

150 amp underground service 3 wire 150 amp 30 circuit panel .The branch circuit is a 15 amp 14/3 with ground . 14/3 feeds to a 4" round box , 1 circuit feeds through to another branch circuit in the house , the other circuit feeds a pull chain fixture that has a compact fluorescent lamp in it....

Lights dimming [ 1 Answers ]

What should I look for when troubleshooting lights that dim. When a contractor plugs in paint sprayer or air compressor it causes the lights to dim in the hallway. Too many circuits on that breaker? Or ---- Guy

Lights on one circuit keep dimming [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a home built in the 40's. It has the old cloth covered wiring, new panel and breakers (6 years old). I have one circuit (which is very much overloaded) that never had a problem before (as long as the blow dryer wasn't on with anything else). I recently replaced a switch in...

Dimming doesn't work on either Hampton Bay fan [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I purchased 2 ceiling fans to install into a renovation with all new wiring. Fan #1 came with a built in remote. Fan #2 did not come with a remote, I bought the $30 handheld remote and had it wired in during installation. Both remotes turn each respective fan on and off at the 3 speeds....

Dimming a Ceiling Fan Light [ 1 Answers ]

We have Hampton Bay ceiling fans installed on double (bipole) switches. Is there a way to use the existing wiring to provide separate control for the fan and the lights so we can put a dimmer on the lights? Or is there another way to dim the lights - would a remote do this?

View more questions Search