Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jack2794 Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Belkin Wireless G notebook card won't detect a network :(
    Hello,

Well, to begin I am not the most technical person who ever lived, however, I bought a cheap laptop of eBay a week or so ago and it did not come with wifi built in so today I went to purchase a Belkin Wireless G notebook card. It came with a CD which I put into my laptop and it installedthe card. Great I thought, I may of got it to work - no such luck. My laptop will not detect any wireless networks, despite the fact I have put it right next to the Wireless router and modem!
    Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong, if so I would very much appreciate your help,
    Thank you in advance,

Jack

p.s (the laptop is working 100% fine as far as I know so I assume it is the card that is the problem)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2008, 12:07 PM
    What OS on the laptop? Did the install routine detect the card? Do you have any security on the router?

Jun 3, 2008, 12:10 PM
    its win98 se (but the packet clearly said the card was compatible with it) it's a dell latitude 400x (I think if that helps) I don't know if I have security on the router, it is not password protected or anything.
    hope this helps and thank you

Jun 3, 2008, 12:11 PM
    The process said insert you card and I did and the box thing that told me to put in the card went away and about 2 minutes later it said process completed.

Jun 3, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Check the specs on the router. While that card may be compatbile with Win 98SE, your router may not.

Jun 3, 2008, 12:16 PM
    OK. Thanks, I will do that. The help is very much appreciated.

Jun 3, 2008, 12:21 PM
    OK, I have checked. According to the router it is compatible with 98.

Jun 3, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Its been a long time since I worked with Win 98. I forget how to set up a wireless LAN connection. Have you tried calling Belkin support? Or the router tech support?

Jun 3, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Nope. I just wanted to see if anyone knew how to do it befire I did, but I will do that. Thank you for all of your help though, it has been appreciated.

Jun 3, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Oh also, do you need to have one PC in the network connected to the router via a ethernet cable?

Jun 3, 2008, 06:02 PM
    No that's not necessary

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

Wireless ethernet LAN network PCI card [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a used (Netgear WRG614 wireless router) & a used (Encore 802.11g wireless ethernet LAN network pci card) from Ebay for my desktop with XP Pro & SP2.I have the instructions & disc for my (Netgear WRG614 wireless router) but the (wireless ethernet LAN network pci card) did'nt come...

View more questions Search