Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tell me more Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Concrete Shower Floor -- untiled
    I am renovating a bath and have included a 8X4 shower -- doorless. I would love to put in a concrete floor, untiled, and tile walls. Can concrete be used without tiles? What would I have to do the concrete? Can it be scored or designed as they do on floors now? Stained?
    Thanks.
    Tell Me More:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 3, 2008, 10:32 AM
    I've never put one in that way but if it will set in a slab I'm pretty sure you will need to form na shower pan and install a flange type shower drain,(see image). I would treat the base just like a tile base only without the tiles. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 11:24 AM
    What is the current floor material under the existing bathroom? Is the old drain from the shower in a useable location?

Jun 3, 2008, 11:55 AM
    It is an old wooden floor covered with BackerBoard--cement board! TX

Jun 3, 2008, 06:13 PM
    OK you are on a wood floor and want a concrete shower pan built up. It is usually moratr and tile buit you can use concrete. Ryan's website tells it better than I can so here it goes. How to Build a Shower Pan

Jun 3, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Thanks. Read and will do! (or have my plumber do). Do we need to seal the concrete if we are not going to tile it? Can we stamp designs into it? Color it?

Jun 4, 2008, 06:20 AM
    You can do all of the above but designs will make cleaning a bit more difficult. If this job was for my home I'd install tile and grout for a better surface. Concrete is porous and will not be easy to maintain.

Jun 4, 2008, 06:38 AM
    That Is What I Needed--cleaning Is Not What I Want! I Want Easy Maintenance.

Is It Better To Use Large Or Small Tiles--i Am Using 17 1/4" On Walls.

Thanks.

Jun 4, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Great Answer!

Jun 4, 2008, 06:51 AM
    A shower pan has very little flat surface to it so a large tile would be almost impossible to set. The smaller the tile the easier to set but with more grouting. I would grout with a pre-mixed stain proof grout.

Jun 4, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    A shower pan has very little flat surface to it so a large tile would be almost impossible to set. The smaller the tile the easier to set but with more grouting. I would grout with a pre-mixed stain proof grout.

WILL DO! THANKS AGAIN. I think I will do the actual tiling -- first time! I will let them do the concrete pan.

Jun 4, 2008, 09:30 AM
    When the guy pours the pan ask him to check the weep holes on the drain and tell you how to keep them clear when you tile. On concrete I would use thinset mortar with a good premixed stainproof grout.

Jun 4, 2008, 08:28 PM
    When the guy pours the pan ask him to check the weep holes on the drain and tell you how to keep them clear when you tile. On concrete I would use thinset mortar with a good premixed stainproof grout.

Thanks--since this is all new to me I can use all the advice I can receive!

Jun 4, 2008, 08:30 PM

THANKS--HELP APPRECIATED!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile shower floor(concrete) [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to lay tile on concrete for a shower.Problem is not sure on how to go about pitching the floor, because the floor was not done that way(new construction) and bit lost oh how and if I should use floor liner? Someone already laid harded backer on walls can some please HELP!!

Shower floor tile over concrete [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower in my basement. It has a concrete subfloor and the drain is roughed in for a tub. I am installing ceramic tile on the floor and walls. I have three questions. First, at what height do I install the drain if I do not know the finished height of the tile? Second,...

Pouring concrete shower floor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to pour a concrete shower floor over top of an existing sloping slab and lay ceramic tile that will be flush with the drain. I'll have to drill or hammer through the existing slab to install the drain pipe. Chief question is: what's the best technique to position the drain before I pour the...

Tiling over an exsisting concrete shower floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello and Happy New Year, Here is our problem. We remodeled a bathroom and tiled the shower walls and floor. The exsisting shower base was painted concrete. We sanded the concrete, then tiled,using a grout with latex. A couple weeks after, we noticed tile and grout coming up. When we...

Concrete shower floor [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if a concrete shower floor is suitable. I hear it is not recommended even if it's sealed as it would erode in time.

View more questions Search