Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mega311 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Confused about Wiring: Installing Ceiling fan w/ Remote
    Hi, I am replacing a light in the ceiling with a remote control fan w/ a light. The original light was connected to 2 black wires that's are together, but the kind that you can pull apart like a twizzler candy. One of them has white labeling/writing. There was also a copper strand wire connected, which I believe is the ground. I have to connect the AC from the house to the receiver in the fan and then the receiver to the fan. I have the second part under control. Going into the receiver there's a black("AC in L") and white wire ("AC in N"). My question is which of the two black wires coming from the house go the each black and white on the receiver.

Schematic

AC FROM HOUSE

========== Black

========== Black w/ writing on it (says AWG 14)

GOING INTO RECEIVER

========== Black ("AC in L")

========== White ("AC in N")

So Which go to which?

Thanks so much for the HELP!!
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jun 3, 2008, 04:33 PM
    If I understand you correctly, somebody used "zip" cord to wire that ceiling light. That is the stuff you find on lamps and whatnot around the house. It is for exposed locations only. That is dangerous and also illegal. I find that type of thing in houses that had a do-it-yourselfer as the last owner. Someone who new just enough to be dangerous. Usually they wanted to add another outlet or ceiling box and used whatever was at hand, so it probably isn't too extensive. Get it replaced with the correct cable, usually NM-B "romex". Unfortunately when you find one instance of that type of thing in a house there often are others. In the last 2 years I have done extensive rewiring on houses like that. And watch the plumbing too!

As to finding the hot and neutral, while not difficult, I hesitate to enable you to use the existing setup. Get it done right.
    zeke Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Providing that the house is wired correctly. The black wire with the white lettering is the neutral (white or N). With the breaker or fuse disconnected and the wall switch off place an ohm meter between the suspected neutral wire and ground. If there is resistance than that is the neutral wire. This is not the correct way to check for proper wiring, but by not knowing your level of expertise it's the safest.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 09:59 PM
    I agree, the black with writing should likely go to the white. However this braided wire is probably a pigtail to the real wiring which will be white and black.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing Remote in Angled Ceiling does not fit [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a trick to installing the remote unit in the opening of an angled ceiling? The person who installed our ceiling fan said it would NOT fit because it is an angled ceiling.

Installing a remote for my ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a remote for my ceiling fan and there is 5 wires from the remote, I hooked black to hot,white to neutral. And the 3 I have left are red-black-white, where would I hook them up at? Thanks

Installing universal ceiling fan remote [ 1 Answers ]

My remote for my Hunter ceiling fan stopped working so I bought a Hunter universal remote control. The color wires do not match up. My fan has 6 wires, a black strip, yellow, pink, gray, red and white. My new remote has 5 wires, red (light), 2 white (neutral, common), 2 black (live in, fan). I...

Installing a remote receiver in a ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a Hampton Bay receiver in an existing ceiling fan, model unknown. I have three wires coming out of the ceiling: black, white and red. These are connected to the fan wires: black to black, white to white and red to blue. The receiver only has two input wires: black and...

Help with installing a ceiling fan with remote [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton bay northport lll 52 " ceiling fan. It has a remote control with it, I have no clue where the wires go to install the receiver. It has a white, black, and blue wire on the output side A white, and red wire ont the input side? Can anyone help me with this... Thank you...

View more questions Search