Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BILLTHE2ND Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Paid for Salary people
    In New Jersey. Im on Salary and a supervisior. The company that I work for has been closed for several Friday's for a few weeks due to lack of work. They are telling employees that they have to use a vacation or sick day or unpaid day. They also are telling the supervisors that they have to choose also from one of the three days also. We heard that the managers don't have to use any days because they will be paid. They are also on salary. Is this right. My question is that I'm part of management and should I be paid like the mangers without using a day.
    tjplayer Posts: 45, Reputation: 11

Jun 2, 2008, 07:56 PM
    You may be a supervisor but you are also salary, I would assume that weather you work 40, 24 or 60, you make the same each week. So I don't see why you have to use a day, but also the company has to give its employees the chance to use up vacation and any paid days. An unpaid day would be the same as using nothing since the plant is closed. With it only being one day a week, I do not believe anyone would qualify for partial unemployment, anyway. This way if employees have a paid day they can take it and it will not hurt their paycheck. The company may be also trying to get everyone to use up all their time just in case your company has to have a layoff. This away if the company does have a lay off they do not have a lot of employees taking time off right before the lay off. Since you just heard about the management not having to use days and that they are salary also, I would just as some one in labor or personal how this affects you. I am not an expert or anything, but I have seen this there I work. I work for Volvo Trucks, and I have seen three layoffs so far. I hope you do not have a layoff, but it sounds like the company is just trying to help non salary employees still get a full check. Hope this helps and remember this is just my opinions. Good Luck, I would just check to see what group you fall into.
    Sues Lab Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tjplayer
    You may be a supervisor but you are also salary, I would assume that weather you work 40, 24 or 60, you make the same each week. So I don't see why you have to use a day, but also the company has to give its employees the chance to use up vacation and any paid days. An unpaid day would be the same as using nothing since the plant is closed. With it only being one day a week, I do not believe anyone would qualify for partial unemployment, anyway. This way if employees have a paid day they can take it and it will not hurt their paycheck. The company may be also trying to get everyone to use up all their time just incase your company has to have a layoff. This away if the company does have a lay off they do not have a lot of employees taking time off right before the lay off. Since you just heard about the management not having to use days and that they are salary also, I would just as some one in labor or personal how this affects you. I am not an expert or anything, but I have seen this there I work. I work for Volvo Trucks, and I have seen three layoffs so far. I hope you do not have a layoff, but it sounds like the company is just trying to help non salary employees still get a full check. Hope this helps and remember this is just my opinions. Good Luck, I would just check to see what group you fall into.
    Also they cannot take a day from your pay unless they pay you hourly for that week and for how ever many hours you worked. I believe that they can use your vacation and sick time as well

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If paid salary why get a check for hourly ? [ 1 Answers ]

I went into dissability for 3 weeks. I came back to work Mon 21. I get my check for end of the month is only for $193. Can they give a hourly check even if I'm salary? Fair? Nancy Long Beach

They say I am not salary, but why don't I get paid hourly? [ 18 Answers ]

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/payroll/hourly-employee-working-2-080-hours-year-but-getting-paid-just-1-920-a-79955.html My question, is similar to the link above, but I am still not understanding this! I work a total of 37.5 hours a week... No overtime! The same hours each week! Overtime...

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

Un-paid salary [ 2 Answers ]

I worked as a sales rep for a physical therapy center (for a short period, two weeks and 2 days) before I quite. I did not trust the owner/president of This small company and the work environ became totally negetive, and besides, I did not want to become too much in hock to him lest I get burned....

View more questions Search