Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Classic1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Journal Entry for Bonds
    What is the journal entry for $15,000 bonds which sold for $13,000?

I think it should be

DR. Bonds Payable $15,000
    DR. Loss on Redemption of bonds $2000
    CR Cash $13,000
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Who is doing the selling? "Selling" bonds means the company is issuing bonds to bondholders. Since bonds are debt, they are actually borrowing money from the investors. It's not like selling an asset.

You're calling it "selling" for $13,000. But your entry looks like a redemption of bonds. That isn't the same thing. Redeeming the bonds is basically paying the bonds back, not selling them. And if that is the case, it would depend on whether there's any unamortized discount or premium.

Since you have paraphrased the problem, I'm not sure if you've stated it correctly, or if there's any missing information. But as is, it doesn't work. And you need to clarify things a bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal entires for bonds and computing interest on bonds [ 3 Answers ]

Journal entires for bonds and computing interest on bonds -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am having a difficult time understanding bonds. Here is a question that stumps me: Record the sale of $4 million of 10 year, 6% corporate bonds...

Journal entires for bonds and computing interest on bonds [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a difficult time understanding bonds. Here is a question that stumps me: Record the sale of $4 million of 10 year, 6% corporate bonds priced at 104 plus two months accrued interest. If interest payments are semiannual, and the interest expense account was debited for $53,600 when...

Bonds journal entry [ 1 Answers ]

How do I make a journal entry for- Purchased $100,000 US Treasury 6% bond paying 102 plus $1000 accrued interest? Please anybody Thanks

View more questions Search