Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harley132 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 04:25 PM
    HIPAA law violated
    I am involved in a messy divorce. I have been in and out of court almost a year now. My husband and his lawyer subpoenad all nine of my doctors to appear in court. All but one dr. did not attend. Each doctor was called to testify and each doctor replied the same way I can not answer your question because of the HIPAA law. All eight of the doctors brought my medical files with them and when asked if they could be read again the doctors declined the request stating that they could not allow them to read them because it would be breaking the HIPAA law. We were just about to break for lunch when the Judge held up a large white envelope she announced that the contents of the envelope were my medical records and she is not sure why they were given to her. Needless to say my husband and his attorney were quick to grab the files out of the Judges hand. I had not qiven anyone permission to read my medical records and all eight of the other doctors refused because of the HIPAA law. There was very personal and private things in that file. Because this one doctor violated my rights it may cost me my children. I am angry because my husbands attorney has already begun to use the information that was obtained from that file. Do I have a case? If I do who do I sue? Doctor, attorney, judge or can I sue them all?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 04:30 PM
    If there is a court order to produce the records, then providing those records under court order. A court order is one of the exceptions to require your records to be given out. So if the court ordered your records produced, the judge could have ordered them to testify since that would not be hippa violation.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jun 4, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Do you have a lawyer to represent you? If so, insist that he/she investigate the situation.

If you don't have representation, I suggest obtaining one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa Law Violated [ 5 Answers ]

I just found out yesterday that a coworker violated my civil rights at work. I was out a day at work due to an illness, and my friend at work noticed another medical worker get upset as to why I was out, she then punched up my name in our office computer (I work in a family practice), she looked...

Were my HIPAA rights violated? What should I do now? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently went to a new dentist since I had not been to one in more than three years. The reason I went was because I had broken a tooth and now it was abcessed and needed a root canal procedure (per the dentist). The dentist looked at my x-rays and tooth and prescribed me pain medication and...

HIPAA rights violated? [ 24 Answers ]

My employer disclosed two drug test results of mine to local law enforcement. They were negative for drugs by the way. I never gave consent, verbal or signed to do so. In fact they never told my they were going to do this. I learned after the fact. Have my rights been violated?

Violated my probation... [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here's what's going on I got put on probation for six months for a PI( public intoxication) charge. Well I told my probation officer I had a drinking problem and he told me he'de make me go to a 12 hour class which I can't attend until december* its full until then*. Also he's making me go to...

View more questions Search