Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LORRS Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Smart two year old
    My son is very bright he can count 20 himself and follows on to 30, he knows his colours and I have lost count of the amount of words he can say now, he uses both hand to paint and draw but favours his left. He can also point to and tell you his A to Z, I am just a normal parent and I want my son to do well he is only two. We make everything fun for him he enjoys playing with kids his own age. I just want to make sure I am doing all I can, we are drawing shapes just now and he has got them down to a t as well. His play is as normal as any two years old and we have the hufs too.

Who can I contact, I live in the uk scotland want to try and get as much info as possible to meet his development need:)

Thanks lorrs
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Right now, at this age, he needs to learn how to play and to develop his imagination as well as his social skills. Read to him and let him "read" to you (tell his own version of the story), be storytellers and make up stories about all sorts of things, let him dress up in old clothes, play with clay (PlayDoh) or paints, go on walks and count red flowers or white houses or black cars, of course visit the library and check out books, grocery shop together and let him help you pick out foods, and get together with other mothers who have small children so both kids and moms can interact.

At this age, I wouldn't worry very much about how smart he is. Know that he is and is open to all sorts of learning in all sorts of situations. That's your job now--to put him into all sorts of situations where he can be thinking and trying out this or that. Plus you want him to be comfortable with others.

Jun 2, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Thanks we do a lot of that just now, have not done the grocery shop with him yet will give that a try. At pre school here they are looking for kid to be able to do what he is doing just now and although he plays well with kids it is not in that setting yet. I'm worried that once he get there he will be the odd one out, some kids are not like that but I know when I was younger some were.

I looking really for some support for him a group maybe where he won't be the odd the one but still have all the opportunities. I do not see it as problem but a gift and Glad because anything I have on paper I really had to work for.

I am not sure what pre school to send him too yet, going to have a few interviews for this and think I will interview them about his place.
    Thank again
    Lorrs
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Hun, it's pretty simple. I assume you are a first time mom? Don't let him be the odd one out. Let him play, let him learn to be a social being. That is first and foremost at this point in time.

Children tend to learn more when they develop social skills. A normal pre-school can do just that. Continue to do what you are doing at home, but don't push it too far. While we all want our children to be smart and outstanding in school, it can end up to be a curse.

Jun 2, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Ok but I'm not the mad mum that push's him, he just pick things up fast. He go's mon and fri to a playgroup and my sis have two boys just off his age. Yes I'm a first time mom, his socail skills are great he say please and thank you and stand his ground. One of the boys pushed him over, so they could get a car. He went up and took it back. I am prod off him as he is an only child just now and he has done well with mixing with other kids.

I believe you, I'm just worried if in case I missing anything I could be doing for him, I just want him to enjoy his childhood and the most out of it.
    Thanks again lorrs
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Kids his age do what is called "parallel play." Each kid does his own thing but next to another kid doing his own thing. When he becomes three and four years old, he will begin to play with others. My job during playtime in preschool was to help kids with their imagination. We'd do "tea party" and I'd ask for a little "sugar" in my "tea". The girls looked at me blankly. Sugar, there's no sugar here! So I'd pretend and would use a tea party spoon to scoop a bit of pretend sugar from the sugar bowl and put the "sugar" into my "tea" and then sip it... "Mmmmmmmmmmmm, just right!" I would say. "But the tea is too cold!" So I'd heat up the kettle and add "hot water". Then I'd move over to where the boys were and build block garages for the trucks and run the cars and trucks around on the floor and into the garages. 'Vroom, vroom!" I'd say. At first the kids were clueless but, as time went on, started to play with imagination. I decided TV was the culprit--the kids could just sit and watch and didn't have to DO anything.

Jun 2, 2008, 04:24 PM
    I think you are right about TV my dad calls it the sin box, he say it turn all our brains away from what is needing to be done in world.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2008, 05:23 PM
    I am a parent of a youg child and hold a masters in early childhood education so I feel as though my opinion is a valid one. Yes your child is bright. Yes your child should be in a preschool setting. A regular preschool with a two yer old program. At this point he may seem advanced compareed to the others, but everything tends to evenout around kindergarten. The truly bright will obviously stand out. Read to your child and have him picture read the story. Make sure your son has exposure to other children. Playgroups and mommy and me classes are a must. Keep his mind busy. Offer puzzels, ans simple games such as matching games, candy land. Chutes and ladder, hi-ho cherrio. (counting, color recognition etc. best wishes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to be smart? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, dear helper I'm a new immigrate to the U.S.A. So I'm still in University right now. At my age--38, I fell exhausted about studying. My memorize is poor, my English is not good enough. Even through I spend a lot of time in studying, the grade still bad. Can you give me any suggestion?...

Smart card ain't being smart and letting watch me TV [ 1 Answers ]

Satellite TV. I'm trying to watch TV on FMLY channel(which is the only good channel on my tv) but it says the smart card is not authorized to do yada, yada or whatever. It also says to wait, but how long am I going to wait? And, why isn't it working?

Smart Old Man [ 6 Answers ]

An elderly man in North Carolina had owned a large farm for several years. He had a large pond in the back, fixed up nice; picnic tables, horseshoe courts, and some apple and peach trees. The pond was properly shaped and fixed up for swimming when it was built. One evening the old farmer...

View more questions Search