Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    41396b Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Starting a 401 K at age 60?
    I have never contributed to a 401K before and it is now offered to me. My paycheck is small, $330. A week. Is it worth enrolling? What if I only work a year or two? Can I withdraw without pentality?
    Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 02:12 PM
    At age 60 you can indeed withdraw without penalty, although your employer may not allow in-service withdrawals at all. In other words, this is money you should plan on socking away until you are no longer employed. Is it worth it? Putting something away for retirement is always a good idea, and if there is a company match it's like free money. One thing you should look into is whether your plan has any vesting rules that might complicate matters - some plans require that money stay invested for a minimum number of years before you are allowed to make a withdrawal - ask your HR rep about this.
    41396b Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    At age 60 you can indeed withdraw without penalty, although your employer may not allow in-service withdrawals at all. In other words, this is money you should plan on socking away until you are no longer employed. Is it worth it? Putting something away for retirement is always a good idea, and if there is a company match it's like free money. One thing you should look into is whether your plan has any vesting rules that might complicate matters - some plans require that money stay invested for a minimum number of years before you are allowed to make a withdrawal - ask your HR rep about this.
    Thank you for the info. Very much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting over [ 2 Answers ]

I live in East Europe and have just started to watch a reality programme called 'Starting Over', I think it was very popular in America for a few years. Does anyone know the name of the music played when the credits go up please? The credits go too quickly and off the screen before I can see if...

Starting with Me [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name of the artist who sings this country song?

I'm Starting to think I'm 2nd Best. [ 3 Answers ]

My ex broke up with me around 3 to 4 months ago, when she told me she needed a break. It was hard for me to just lose her that quickly but we got to the point where we were almost strangers, and she had a new boyfriend (that was her ex before) So to sum it up, she broke up with him, then found me,...

Starting the car [ 7 Answers ]

My 2002 honda civic is in good condition has only 38,000 klm on it. But about a week ago I am having problems with starting it I put the key in the ignition and have to hold it for a few seconds like 5 6 then it starts I know this is not normal.I took it to honda dealership and they said there is...

Just starting [ 1 Answers ]

Any loan officers that can help me start in the biz need some good sales lines for honest person ;)

View more questions Search