Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beingscrewed Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 12:06 AM
    Apartment being demolished, does owner pay for relocation?
    I moved into this building in Oct 2004. In June of 2005 the original owner sold the apartmet building and property to our Community Hospital. We (there are 4 units in the Bld) were all kind of worried because we heard about the Hospital expantion, and thought they would kick us out. They sent us a letter in July 2005 that said they had no "immediate" plans for the property and they would keep it as living quarters. Well now we have all received Cert. letters asking us to be out by June 30 2006. Some people have told me the Hospital should pay for our relocation. I have no idea. All a can find in the Landlord-Tenant laws are things that don't seem applicable. Are they responsible. Or is the 120 day notice all they need to do? Any advice would be appreciated.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2006, 01:25 AM
    I am inclined to say you are out of luck. You must move, and they don't have to pay for your relocation expenses.

One thing though. What kind of contract do you have? If you have a 1 year lease, then they can NOT kick you out in 120 days. However, if you are on a month-month lease, then 120 days is well over the required 30 days notice required. In some places, only 15 days of notice is required.

The law does vary from place to place, but in general, if you are on a month-month lease, then they can kick you out and NOT pay for your relocation expenses.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2006, 06:33 AM
    The 120 day notice is a lot more than they have to do, all they would have had to do is give you a 30 day notice. If you have a written lease that gives you any other rights then you can ask for it to be inforced.

Now often companies will pay for moving when they take over buildings, but normally not. You could ask for a reasonable amount, and they may pay it to give good public relations. But there is no legal grounds for them to pay you.

You may ask them also ifyou can not pay any rent for the remainder of the stay, if they are tearing it down, they may not care

But legally you have to pay rent for the time you are living there and be out when they told you to be out by.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Hi beingscrewed:

As noted, you have to move. What I want to know is why you think having to move, and being given 120 days notice is being screwed? Yes, it's a hassle. Life is a hassle, but nobody is screwing you. Take it from somebody who knows what being screwed is all about.

And, if you don't like being a tenant, buy a house. Interest rates are still VERY low. You can get in with next to nothing, and then you can be the one who screws people.

excon
    beingscrewed Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Thank you for your replies. I thought 120 days was more than enough notice personally. I just had a bunch of "know it alls" sticking their oars in the water, telling me I was stupid not to force the issue. I would rather be looking for a new place and saving money with my time. By the way excon, my name is only "beingscrewed" because I was having a really bad day when I made it up;) I don't think I'm being screwed over this matter at all. I just needed some backup for the ear chewers! Thank You All Much Love:D
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2006, 05:20 PM
    But what the heck, it is always worth asking for it, all the can do at the worst is laught at you. And a big company moving people out, it could get some bad PR if it goes the wrong way. So if all the tennants got together and asked for lets say 1000 each family to assest in moving, they may do it,

Of course there is no reason other than good PR, they could be in the news showing how family concerned they are.

I recently settled a discrimination "situation" I did not have enough evidence to prove anything, but the church school (or the church board) did not want any bad PR, so I received a check in the mail last week for twice what I had even asked for. They must have been really guilty, wish I could have proved it. But I bet there was more papers being shedded that week than in the white house in 10 years

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owner of car [ 3 Answers ]

I and my spouse own a vehicle. I would like to know if a title loan is put on the car will I also be responsible for this loan which I did not sign.

Owner financing [ 20 Answers ]

I'm the seller, doing owner financing, which has turned out to be a nightmare! I had legal contracts that were checked out by an attny. It has been a year, they only made the min. pmts, no deposit or down pmt. But seemed to take exc. Care of the property and seemed very happy there. Without...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Windows XP SP2 -> Owner [ 5 Answers ]

OS: Windows XP SP2 Background: I purchased a laptop and when I installed or booted for the first time it never asked me for my user name. Usually when I install an O/S I will give XP my name like "Don Lazov" and then when I go to C:\Documents and Settings I will see some folders with sure...

New Daschund Owner [ 6 Answers ]

I have a brand new miniature daschund. I bought her a crate and a couple play toys. But I need advise on how much time she should be in the crate versus how much time she should be allowed out. We have only been putting her in the crate when we aren't home. She sleeps in our bed and we take her...

View more questions Search