Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 4, 2006, 10:13 PM
    Cpvc vs other types of plumbing
    What are the advantages and disadvantages between various piping... looks like I may have a good deal of plumbing that will need replacing and I would like to know what are good and bad of most popular types... thanks for any help as always.. TommyP:)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 5, 2006, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    what are the advantages and disadvantages between various piping...looks like i may have a good deal of plumbing that will need replacing and i would like to know what are good and bad of most popular types...thanks for any help as always..TommyP:)
    Hey Tommy,

I would go for CPVC for several reasons.
    (1) CPVC is easier to run then copper.
    (2) you don't need the equipment or soldering skills with plastic.
    (3) Soldering inside walls with a torch is a fire hazard
    (4) CPVC will out last copper and is impervious to electrolysis and/or aggressive water.
    Good luck, Tom
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 6, 2006, 07:00 PM
    Thanks a mill... will try
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Mar 6, 2006, 08:16 PM
    I totally agree with Tom and labman on the advantages of PVC pipe. I replaced all my drains with PVC and it is very easy to work with. However, I would definitely check your local code if it's acceptable for use on supply lines if that's what you're planning. Many areas finally saw the light and allow more use of PVC, all though others only allow it for drains, and supply lines must still be copper (such as where I live). A two minute call can save a lot of headaches later on :eek:
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2006, 10:11 PM
    If it is your water lines that you are going to be replacing there are other choices in plastic. CPVC is good for both hot and cold piping. PVC should only be used on the cold water piping. One of the other choices is a plastic called PEX piping system. It is a very strong system and very user friendly. Another choice is called PEX-AL-PEX it is a plastic pipe with an aluminum pipe inside of it and then another coating of plastic inside the aluminum. This pipe is easy to use because of the fact that when you bend it to come up out of the ground into a wall it stays in place because of the aluminum.
    senthil4you Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 03:12 AM
    Can u please tell me advantages and disadvantages of cpvc pipes,composit pipes and copper pipes?

What are the chemicals/metals added to strengthen the pvc /cpc?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 4, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by senthil4you
    can u please tell me advantages and disadvantages of cpvc pipes,composit pipes and copper pipes?
    what are the chemicals/metals added to strengthen the pvc /cpc?
    I can come up with no "disadvantages" to using PVC or CPVC. Galvanized builds up minerals and cuts down on volume and pressure. Copper can develop pin holes from electrolysis and aggressive water.

PVC= Poly vinal chloride and CPVC= Chlorinated poly vinal chloride
    Cheers, Tomchoride
    jaydeepsheth Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 12:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    what are the advantages and disadvantages between various piping...looks like i may have a good deal of plumbing that will need replacing and i would like to know what are good and bad of most popular types...thanks for any help as always..TommyP:)
    PPR can be a good choice.
    1) 100% leak proof
    2) Easy installation,saves time and labour cost
    3) corrosion free
    4) bore smoothness as no scaling
    5) high impact strength
    6) life span Can exceed 50 yrs.

Negatives.
    1) if it gets drilled,it asks for more untiling

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pvc vs cpvc [ 14 Answers ]

I am looking to replace old metal underground fittings and valves supplying water to my house. The main supply line to the house after the water meter is 1" metal, which branches off with four 1" x 1" x 3/4" T's. I attempted to find a manifold to replace all of the fittings but no luck, so I...

Copper to cpvc threaded connections [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can I connect cpvc threaded pipe adapters directly to corresponding male or female threaded copper adapters, and, using suitable pipe dope, get good reliable joints? I know there are threaded copper-to-glue cpvc conversion connectors available, but I have on hand a number of copper and cpvc...

CPVC v/s copper for new shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently installing a shower in my basement and everything has went smoothly so far. My question is, does it matter whether you use copper lines or CPVC line as the water feed lines on a new install? (By that I also mean between the shower head and the faucet) Most showers I've seen in...

Cpvc supply lines - securing before drywall? [ 1 Answers ]

An odd question, I have framed my new laundry/half bath in the basement, all eelctrical ready to go and am ready to extend the plastic water supply lines for the future toilet/vanity. Question though, with this type of supply pipe, is there a need to secure it similar to pictures I have seen of...

Cpvc [ 3 Answers ]

ortmanprop Newbie Join Date: Sep 2005 Posts: 0 Using CPVC -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HI,

View more questions Search