Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    circlek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2003, 10:27 PM
    Damp brickwork
    We've had an extraordinary amount of rain this season, our home is built out of clay blocks and the dampness has caused a white salty looking substance to accumilate on the inside walls, especially on the mortar. Can any tell me the best method of removing this. I have tried brushing it off but without much success. I disappears with washing but comes back. Please help.
    Chris
    Ps I realise I will have to paint the outside bricks with a sealer to stop the moisture coming through
    Thanks
    BadJames Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2005, 07:31 PM
    Salty brick work
    Hello. First time I've seen this site. I Guess you've sorted out the white bits on your bricks by now but in case you haven't. The salty looking stuff on your brick work is called effloresence. 1 part Hydrochloric acid to 3 parts water and a stiff plastic brush will get it off. Wet the wall down with straight water first then scrub with the acid solution then water again to clean off the acid. You should wear protective gloves and eye wear while using the solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damp Smell in Bedroom [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, all. On one side of my son's 2nd floor bedroom, a musty smell will become noticeable every time we close his door more than 1/2 way for more than 10-15 minutes. This has been happening since we moved in 2 months ago. It does not coincide to rain and comes back after you air out the room. ...

Whirlpool Gas Dryer leaves clothes damp [ 2 Answers ]

Model # GGW9868KQ@ Whirlpool sensor gas dryer leaves clothes damp when using the automatic controls. What's wrong:

Dryer gets hot but clothes are damp [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a wirlwool dryer and the air is hot but the clothes remain damp even after the hottest cycle. Also the air seems moist. Any ideas?

View more questions Search