Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ms1994 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Summon to appear in court
    I received a summons for my mother to appear in court for a credit card debt. She doesn't live here in Chicago anymore, she moved to FL. I wrote a court appearance on her behalf on or before June 9th, as what summoned stated? What will happen next? Can I file bankruptcy on her behalf here in IL? My mother doesn't drive and language barrier is an issue. I am hoping someone will help me.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2008, 03:05 PM
    IF you answered the summons, your mother will have to appear to defend herself against the suit.

If she does not show up, a judgment will be rendered against her.

You cannot appear in her place, without a power of attorney, and no, you can't file bankruptcy for her either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served with summon from credit card company in NC [ 2 Answers ]

I have until 4/25/08 to respond. I have no idea of what to say in a response. Any suggestions? Is bankruptcy the only answer?

Magistrate Court Summon [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a full-time student without a UK drivers licence ( I do have international), I was caught driving a car without insurance or MOT and I have been summoned to court. Please what's the worst that could happen? Could u also advice on how I need to fill the form that has been sent to me,...

Court Summon [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I mistakenly received my friends summon. Now he is not interested in collecting it from me. What should I do now? Can I return the summon back to court? Please advise. Thanks and Regards, Deva.

View more questions Search