Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    done wrong in O Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 06:44 AM
    We adopted a child-after 3 months- she filed for divorce
    I really need some input here... so Im going to shorten a very long story..
    I was married for 10 years,my wife wanted a baby ,but after doing everything that we could{ doctors etc } we knew that she could not have childern .So we chose to adopt,after several months and completely spending everything we had ,we adopted a child from Russia,he was 2 years old .3 months after we brought him home,my wife filed for divorce !
    Threw me out,kept the house,the child and everything that I owed { personal items,tools etc} her dad had money ,knew the judge,etc .I was made to pay not only child support,but to finish paying for the house,and all the bills that we had racked up thu-out our marriage. I had a pretty good paying job at the time and made enough to survive,but after about a year ,I lost that job { company went out of business} I had no choice but to move. {I was living in OH at that time} back to Wv and a much less paying job .
    I have not seen the child since our divorce 3 years ago { I could not let myself get attacted any more then I already was to him ,and It wasn't fair to him } .so even though I took a hugh pay cut,I am still paying the same amount { she is self employeed,and makes 3 times what I do now } I can not afford a lawyer to take her back to court to have the amount reduced,I am barely making enough to get back and forth to work,and living with my mother ,because I can't afford a place of my own,The only reason she married me,was to Get a child.. my question is this.. what can I do ? I am willing to sign over all Parental Rights of the child to her{ I never see the child anyway,and I feel what she did was not only wrong to me,but also the child} If by doing so ,will this free me of the financal strain I am now in ? Please help !
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 06:55 AM
    That is quite a predicment, done wrong. If your wife's father new the judge. I amnot a legal pro but that sounds like conflict of interest, the judge knowing the family, so he should possibly have declined from presiding and possibly the outcome could have come out quite different. I think you are going to have to afford a lawyer to defend your interests and get this settled in a more favourable way.

I don't think y ou can get out of the child support though by signing over parental rights because you were tantamount in bringing the b aby over for the both of you at the time you were married.

What nationality was your wife, by the way ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 12:19 PM
    First no you can not sign your rights away and even if you did, that does not stop child support, so you are stuck with those even if you sign your rights over ( but you are not using your rights away)

And to be honest unless you are smart enough to file for a review of your income, you will be paying the higher amount) So borrow money, use a entire paycheck something but file for a review of the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband filed for divorce [ 6 Answers ]

My husband filed for divorce. His lawyers faxed my lawyer the papers. Now I fired my lawyer. And his lawyer was informed that my lawyer is no longer handling my case.(did I technically get served?) or does his lawyer have to serve me personally? I live in NJ

Can a mom leave state with child if NO divorce / legal papers have been filed? [ 8 Answers ]

If there have NOT been any legal papers signed or filed can a mom relocate out of state with a child.

Child visiting father out of state.before divorce is filed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are separated. In KY, there is a 60 day perdio of required separation before a divorce can be filed. My husband wants our daughter to visit him next week.. he is in AL, I am in KY. I will be a few days shy of the 60 day separation before ei can file my divorce papers. I do however,...

How do I locate where and when divorce was filed? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find out where, when or if a divorce was filed? I need to send for a copy of the records. I have not seen or spoken to my ex? In about 20 yrs and we lived in different cities when we split. I did not have contact info. I have moved several times. I am not sure if he filed the ppw, but I...

Separated but not yet filed for divorce [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I have separated but not yet filed for divorce yet, I know he has another girlfriend and has gotten her pregnant. But I am not allowed to see any men. He tells me that he has a private investagator following me around and has pictures on me. He is sending annymous e-mails to all my...

View more questions Search