Ask
    DimpleBurad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 01:45 AM
    Disable or Enable cell in Excel
    How we disable or enable particular cell, sheet in excel
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 05:52 AM
    By disable I assume you mean "make it so it can't be edited in any way." This is called "locking a cell" in Excel lingo. If this isn't what you mean you will have to correct me, I will answer as if my guess is correct.

By default, ALL the cells are locked. You have to turn on "locking" on a sheet by sheet basis to make this locking effective.

Click on TOOLS > PROTECTIONS

There are several options in here to do what you want.

Protect Sheet
    Along with adding a password only you know, this effectively only allows you or anyone else to edit data in UNLOCKED cells. By default, all cells are locked.

(To unlock a cell prior to turning on a password for the sheet: Highlight the cell(s) you want them to be able to still edit/type in, then use the FORMAT>>CELLS>>PROTECTION and uncheck the "locked" box.)

Allow Users to Edit Ranges

Allows you to enter and give a name/password to specific ranges of cells within the sheet. This is a way to allow some edits without unlocking those cells.

Protect Workbook
    Instead of activating security on a single sheet in the workbook, you can lock down the whole workbook.

Does this give you what you need? You will have to go in and play with the FORMAT > CELLS > PROTECTION > Locked and the protection features to see how it effects your access to your worksheets, but I do this all the time, works great!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel - Creating a link from on cell/tab to another IN THE SAME FILE [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to find a way to make a hyperlink in a cell that links to either another cell on the same tab or a cell on another tab WITHIN the same Excel file. Any ideas? EDIT: I want a word in one cell that is a hyperlink so that when a user clicks on it, it will JUMP to another cell or...

Disable Workbook In Excel [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to add version control to my Excel workbook by disabling the workbook after a specific date. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Excel: Deleted cell content but link is still there [ 3 Answers ]

When I delete text from a cell where the text was a hyperlink, it does go away, but when I go to type new text in the cell, the new text is hyperlinked as the former text was. How can I stop this from happening? Thanks!

View more questions Search