Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

May 31, 2008, 02:39 PM
    How to obtain canadian citizenship
    I am an undocumented resident of the US. Through California's new gay marriage, I have married my partner. He was here in the United States.

Could he sponsor me as a partner for us to move to Canada? Or would we need a Canadian marriage?

And would be the best pathway for us to get Canadian citizenship? We're both college sophomores...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Ok, you are an illegal immigrant in the US, so you are living in the US illegally?? So what county are you a citizen of, you will have to apply for their citizenship as a resident of that nation, since you do not have US citizenship.
    Also are you moving to Canada?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 31, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Is he a Canadian?

Sorry.. not enough info here.
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Jun 1, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Ok,, you are an illegal immigrant in the US, so you are living in the US illegally ???? so what county are you a citizen of, you will have to apply for thier citizenship as a resident of that nation, since you do not have US citizenship.
    Also are you moving to Canada ??
    We want to move to canada. Yes. I am living in the us illegally.

He is not a canadian citizen
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Your only choice is to find employment in Canada first, then you can obtain employment-based immigrant visa.

This link might be helpful...

Translated version of http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 01:26 PM
    If neither of you are citizens of Canada you can't get Canadian citizenship unless you get legal employment in Canada and the company sponsors you to become a Canadian permanent resident.

Once you're a permanent resident (the equivalent of having a green card) you can apply to be a citizen after a few years.
    phoenixcan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Look into the Manitoba or Ontario Provincial Nominee Programs. It is a way to become a Canadian resident and eventually a citizen ( in 3 yrs).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I eligible to obtain citizenship? [ 1 Answers ]

I did stupid first time offense on July, 2007 and was charged with theft 50-500. I hired an criminal attorney and finnaly I got charge dismissal in December, 2002 after I had completed theft intervention program and 40 hours community service. I also got expungment in July, 2007. Last month, I...

View more questions Search