Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yed Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Ego's in Workplace
    Hi

I have co-workers around me whom I do not trust, who are arrogant and egoistic.

1.Usually I work on weekends also to meet deadlines. I have never seen my colleague in the office on a weekend for last 6 months. But during a project meeting, he told me and others that he came to office to finish some work and worked 10 hrs on the weekend. I know he did not come to office, I asked him when he arrived as I did not see him, Then he became defensive and said it was not this weekend but the last weekend(I know he saw lying).

He is 10 years senior to me and I am just stating my career. I don't trust him in anything.

2. Even though he is 10 years experienced, he does not know the very basics about the job, but he tries to teach me how to do things and tries to interfere in my job. But acts before my manager as if he knows everything.

I can't stand this behavior and I show some resistance when he tries to tell me something.
    Because I have high ethical standards and I can't stand people like this who do not have integrity

All this is effecting my work and life.

Plzz advice.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 31, 2008, 12:26 PM
    This guy is in every office that I've ever been in. He is nothing remarkable out there. You'll just have to somehow endure this guy until management either catches on or he leaves. Pointing out to him that you didn't see him apparently did not go over that well with him as he successfully has everyone snowed under his malarkey. Just keep doing your job as best as you know how. If you can somehow make a truce with this jerk, please do so and try and take his direction with a good attitude. You will find that in every office setting there are these kinds of people who know it all and have to cram their seniority and "I know more than you" down everyone else's throat. Just be patient. He'll get his one day when he least expects it from the boss in the form of a pink slip. Just keep showing YOUR integrity and your worth to the company.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Yes, this is how most larger companies are, he is there, has been there for years, and most likely why there was a opening for you to come to work. If you try and fight him, normally you lose, since the company has put faith and trust in the older worker. And also, while you will be offended, sometimes the college way, or book way is not the way things are really done in real life, we used to have young college grad ( engineering) come to work and it took them 2 or 3 years to figure out that real life and what was taught in the book are too different things.

Also you have to understand that there is a company political system in place, and you will have to learn to work within that system.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2008, 11:06 AM
    I think you should cordially listen to him but do not act on his instructions unless you know them to be accurate. Go to your manager for direction. Don't challenge the guy's varacity - you'll just win an enemy and he's been there a long time, so for some reason he's got some pull there.

Be competent in your job, don't make waves and get promoted over his head so that you don't have to work with him any more.

If he were your supervisor I'd suggest you find another job elsewhere. One thing I've learned though - don't wage battles in the office that you do not have authority to win. It's his manager's job to worry about this jerk, and yours to do the job you were retained to do. While you might want to help the company by pointing out this useless, lying load on their resources, what will inevitably happen if you try to show him for what he is - you will be viewed as a guy who can't get along and is not focused on the job at hand. You have nothing to gain in this so just avoid him and do your work well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Workplace harassment [ 1 Answers ]

How is it that my mother can come home from work in tears because her team manager has absolutely ripped shreds off her over the most trivial of things? She has been documenting each time this has happened. Her boss yells at her and humiliates her in front of her co-workers. There appears to be no...

HIV in the workplace [ 14 Answers ]

I have a friend that is HIV positive and is in big denial.This friend of mine wenk to work at a local fast food place which he didn't tell no one he has HIV Should I be freaking out over this? I no longer eat at this place. Should I let my close friends know not to eat at this place? Or should I...

Workplace harassment [ 2 Answers ]

I work for a major company here in North Carolina. I have been keeping a file for the past 3 years of stuff that has gone on within my department. The majority of stuff is contained with employees that harass and get away with it on a consistent basis. It has been reported to a person in charge...

View more questions Search