Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

May 31, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Is storing dolls in boxes a fire hazard if we have an area with an electrical outlet?
    Is storing dolls in boxes in an area that has an electrical outlet and phone jack that are not in use a fire hazard? How far does a storage/box item have to be from the electrical outlet/phone jack? Thanks ;)
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Three requisites for fire: heat, fuel, and oxygen. The electrical outlet and phone jack should not be fire hazards, as long as nothing is inserted into them.

May 31, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Can apartment complex tell someone to move inside stuff?
    We have an area that we can converted into a closet. Inside the area we have placed dolls in boxes. There is an electrical outlet and a phone jack that we have disarmed and is not in use. But our apartment complex is now stating this is a fire hazard. The area has no windows, exits, does not have combustible, and is well ventilated. We feel this is a personal issue with one of the Managers who is not very friendly with us. Can the complex ask us to comply? Also, we had some cable put into the apartment via a Brighthouse contractor who we believe didn't want to do the job and used this leverage in getting the office's help in doing so. The 2 times the fellow came in we got calls from the same manager. Last night, the fellow left at 8:30 P.M. and we received a letter from the same manager by 10:30 P.M. that night. The office is officially closed at 6:00 P.M. so that leaves only personal conversation open for these two people!

What are our legal rights? And what should our approach be? We are living in this place for 8 years now and are just fed-up with this nonsense? Thanks!

God Bless,

gingerrogers77 :))

May 31, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Well, we extended the phone jack to the other side of the apartment and now the phone is on the other side of the place about 100 feet away. Does that change the situation?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 07:57 AM
    I have never heard of a landlord getting so involved with what you have in your closet.

I don't believe they can legally control what you have in your closet, as long as it is not a known dangerous substance, such as Gasoline, kerosene, or dynamite.

I'd tell him go pound sand, and immediately begin making plans to move since this will really irritate him, and if he is determined to make your live miserable, this will only fuel his fire.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 08:12 AM
    I can say that if you have done alterations to the electrical work (disarming the outlet, for example) you may have shifted the current to a different branch of the circuit, and potentially overloaded it. And you are definitely altering the premises, which is generally a no-no in a rental, unless you get the landlord's permission first. So, he could make you un-convert your closet back into whatever it was intended to be.

May 31, 2008, 08:24 AM
    The area converted into a closet has all the walls and all we did was hang a curtain across the area... very easy to undo! Next, we did not make any alterations to the electrical outlet and it is operational but we are not using it and it is turned off. Maintenance and other people from the complex have seen this and have not said anything but this one manager is the one pursuing this.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 09:19 AM
    I wouldn't think so. I believe there is a small, electrical current in a phone line, but probably not sufficient to start a fire. Are the storage boxes paper or plastic? I believe the plastic ones are safer.

May 31, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Most are paper (card board) with some items covered in plastic.

Thanks again :))
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2008, 11:18 AM
    You may want to get someone from the fire marshal to come out and give it an inspection, if they pass it, then no problem.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Hello:

Unless the "letter" gave you notice to leave, there's nothing to respond to. You can have all the workmen you want in your place doing anything you want them to do (except alter the building).

There is nothing you can legally do about a bad manager.

By the way, what did the letter say?

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Hello again, ginger:

What is this manager doing in your house?? THAT is something you can do something to prevent... Did they give you written notice regarding the need to "inspect"? Was the notice adequate? Like was it 24 hours??

Instead of wondering about the stuff you have in your apartment, just keep the nosy landlords OUT.

excon

Jun 1, 2008, 09:05 AM
    We read our lease and they do have to give notice unless they feel it is an emergency and have to get into the unit right away! Because of the nonsense of "fire hazard" reasoning the complex management has a legitimate argument according to the lease and "emergency." Personally, speaking we do not believe the manager even came into the apartment and is just going by hearsay from the contracted Brighthouse cable guy!

Thanks for your concern!! We will bring this up tomorrow when we meet with them and see if they can quote the lease that does not state boxes are a fire hazard!

Jun 1, 2008, 09:09 AM
    "Your apartment was evaluated and it was found that your current collection of dolls is a fire hazard. All floors must allow free movement to and from and nothing should block doorways, window access or the blocking of electrical outlets with boxes or paper items. All stored dolls or other belonging must be relocated to mini-storage or another suitable area for housing them.

For safety and health concerns your apartment must remain free from the items listed above. Your apartment will be revisited no earlier than June 16, 2008 please be ready for the visit.

Contact me with any questions pertaining to this matter.

Assistant Manager"
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Hello again, ginger:

It looks as though she is saying that she can come ANYTIME prior to June 16. That does NOT constitute "reasonable" notice. Therefore, I'd send the following letter:

Dear Assistant Manager:

You are welcome to visit my apartment upon receipt of reasonable written notice. Clearly, this isn't an emergency, therefore, pursuant to our lease, notice is required, or entry will be denied.

Should you enter my apartment WITHOUT such notice, your entry will be considered trespassing, and the police WILL be notified.

Please contact me if you have any further questions regarding this matter.

Very Truly Yours,

Ginger Rogers

----------------------

Send your letter certified, return receipt requested. Should she give proper notice, simply move the boxes for a few moments...

excon

Jun 1, 2008, 10:20 AM
    We will be visiting her this week and invite her to our apartment to have some clarification of the situation... if no resolution, yes, we will go further into a stronger route! We spoke with some office staff and they recommend a sit-down with her and straighten out what the office calls a "misunderstanding." Been here 8 years and have a lease renewal coming up next week for an increase in rent for no more better amenities than we have, never been late on the rent, and are great tenants! :))
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerrogers77
    We will be visiting her this week and invite her to our apartment to have some clarification of the situation...if no resolution, yes, we will go further into a stronger route! We spoke with some office staff and they recommend a sit-down with her and straighten out what the office calls a "misunderstanding." Been here 8 years and have a lease renewal coming up next week for an increase in rent for no more better amenities than we have, never been late on the rent, and are great tenants! :))
    And, if the market will bear a higher rent, then they are going to raise it. All of that not withstanding. Keep in mind that this is a business.. if you are paying 500/month, and they think that they can get 750/month for the apartment, they are going to ask you to pay more. And your option is to either agree to the increase, or move. So, you may want to do some pricing and see if you can get the same amenities, size, etc for less somewhere else, before that lease renewal comes up. It won't do you any good to say "that's outrageous" and leave if it turns out that everyone else is renting equivalent units for 750/month.

Jun 1, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Yes, we understand that. Originally, the apartments were considered "affordable housing" well within great rates because it is at least 45 minutes from any type of transportation or living. But now, the rents have gone up $30-40 a year (this year $24) making it not so affordable and very much a nuisance if a person is needing transportation. Also, the rents in the area are more or less the same but the location is the difference. Country or city living? That is the choice. Development of the area has made traffic terrible for small country roads and it seems more congestion and gas prices on the rise may not make it so reasonable.

Jun 1, 2008, 11:31 AM
    We are sure had the management of the complex not contacted us via a letter concerning the dolls we were well prepared to move for at least a year now because of the way the complex is changing. We just wanted to do it at our own pace and will!! This was our decision and not open to management!
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, ginger:

It looks as though she is saying that she can come ANYTIME prior to June 16. That does NOT constitute "reasonable" notice.
    Actually, the letter states that they will NOT be back prior to June 16. But doesn't specify when after that. But that does seem like reasonable notice to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire boxes [ 7 Answers ]

Fireboxes: I purchased an exterior portable fire box that sits on the deck. Do I use coals or wood in to burn in the fire box.

Is dust in electrical outlet boxes a fire hazard? [ 12 Answers ]

I've been changing out all my electrical outlets and switches because they were beige and I like white... anyway I find that some of the electrical outlet boxes are full of dust. I pulled out the shop vac and took care of it and I noticed it was outlets that are powering something constantly (ie:...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Electrical boxes [ 2 Answers ]

I think I have an unique problem. I have a 4"x4"x6' space which is all wall board above a pass through. I have 3 small wall sconces I want to mount above the pass through. The problem is the wall board. How do I attach the electrical boxes so I can mount the light fixtures? At this point I have the...

Fire Hazard? [ 4 Answers ]

Our cat chewed into 1/2 (wires cut on one side of cord) of a power cord attached to an aquarium filter. Would it be safe to completely cut the cord into 2 pieces, strip off parial outer cord covering, twist the 2 sets of wires back together and then cover it all with electircal tape? This thing...

View more questions Search